Question Straight up!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MDJatt here

Is it really worth doing an MBBS or an MD in India and then ultimately moving up to the Americas for practicing.........i dun think soo.......wat about you all out there???
plz let your thoughts flow in..........i just want your thoughts.......and plz dun mind wat i think about it
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO.

It's very hard to come back. If someone wants to be a doctor in the States or Canada, well then go do the work and get yourself into a medical school. If you want to be a good doctor in the States or in Canada, well then you should know about how the American/Canadian healthcare systems work and any such situations that are specific to them. You will learn this by doing an MD in the States/Canada.

It's not worth it. Stay here.

megaman1x said:
HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO.

It's very hard to come back. If someone wants to be a doctor in the States or Canada, well then go do the work and get yourself into a medical school. If you want to be a good doctor in the States or in Canada, well then you should know about how the American/Canadian healthcare systems work and any such situations that are specific to them. You will learn this by doing an MD in the States/Canada.

It's certainly worth it if you can not get into a med school in US or Canada!!!

As far as being a good doctor, knowing about the "system" is only part of the whole equation. It doesn't take long to get to know the "system." I have come across many american graduates who have to learn so many new things about the "system" when they start their residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
megaman1x said:
HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO.

methinks same :thumbup:

I don't understand. If you can't get into med school here in the US, then you obviously are just not sharp enough to be a doctor. What makes you think you'll be a great doctor if you go the Indian route, if you can't even get into med school here?

This is what I mean--many premeds of Indian descent are so hell-bent on becoming doctors that they don't stop to think if they'd even be GOOD doctors. People's LIVES are at stake in medicine. Why do you think the admission process is so difficult in the US? If you're not intelligent enough to make it through the admissions process, then you shouldn't have people's lives in your hands.

I know I'll get flamed, but this is genuinely how I feel.

dockdock said:
I don't understand. If you can't get into med school here in the US, then you obviously are just not sharp enough to be a doctor. What makes you think you'll be a great doctor if you go the Indian route, if you can't even get into med school here?

This is what I mean--many premeds of Indian descent are so hell-bent on becoming doctors that they don't stop to think if they'd even be GOOD doctors. People's LIVES are at stake in medicine. Why do you think the admission process is so difficult in the US? If you're not intelligent enough to make it through the admissions process, then you shouldn't have people's lives in your hands.

EXACTLY. I whole-heartedly agree!

dockdock said:

I know I'll get flamed, but this is genuinely how I feel.
Hey listen up.......first of all i m not opting for all the stuff you jus said, i m in canada, and gona stay here for times to come and even i know PPl's lives are at stake (well i guess u don't need to tell me that) , and i m not choosing this career on anybody's compulsion, nobodyz forcing me into it, its my own desire to become one.
and btw it was just a question, y the hell are you getting so emotional and expressive, take it ezzz homie or w/e you are in hell.
:mad:

dockdock said:
hey listen
i found you sarcastic in your approach, meaning the way you used "YOU" a hundred times in your post, bluntly you were aiming to downgrade me,
Well i felt that!!!

dockdock said:
I don't understand. If you can't get into med school here in the US, then you obviously are just not sharp enough to be a doctor.

A few people who are sharp enough might not be able to get in due to limited number of available spots. For some it might work out cheaper going to India or somewhere else rather than staying back.

TheWowEffect said:
A few people who are sharp enough might not be able to get in due to limited number of available spots. For some it might work out cheaper going to India or somewhere else rather than staying back.
Please supply data showing that well-qualified people can't get in to med school in the US due to lack of available spots.

If you can't supply data, I'll keep believing that anyone who has the proper credentials to get into med school (i.e. MCAT > 30, decent GPA, research experience, etc) CAN get into a med school in this country. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but I feel strongly on this issue, and I need to express my own opinion.

There are quite a few med schools in this country. My med school had 150 students per class, and this past year, a satellite campus opened up taking an extra 50 people. New med schools are opening up relatively frequently.

Now, of all the American-born Indians who choose to go to med school in India, did any of them score above 30 on the MCAT? Did most of them even BOTHER taking the MCAT?

I know that the vast majority of doctors coming over from India are great doctors, and I'm always impressed by how strong the Indian physician demographic is. At each hospital I worked at, the Indian doctors were nearly always extremely sharp and damn good. But that's not my point. My point is that if a person is properly qualified to enter med school, that person WILL be able to enter med school, provided he applies to enough schools and is willing to re-apply if needed.

It frightens me to think that if I end up in a hospital as a patient, my doctor may be some guy who didn't have what it takes to get into school in the US, so he used a loophole to get medical training in another country, and after many attempts at the USMLE he finally passed it and is now about to treat me. A bit of a stretch, perhaps, but like I said, this is PEOPLE'S LIVES at stake.

And as for the money issue: federal loans are very forgiving and easily dealt with on a physician's earnings.

I know this comes across as angry and mean-spirited, but this is my opinion.

dockdock said:
Please supply data showing that well-qualified people can't get in to med school in the US due to lack of available spots.

If you can't supply data, I'll keep believing that anyone who has the proper credentials to get into med school (i.e. MCAT > 30, decent GPA, research experience, etc) CAN get into a med school in this country. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited, but I feel strongly on this issue, and I need to express my own opinion.

There are quite a few med schools in this country. My med school had 150 students per class, and this past year, a satellite campus opened up taking an extra 50 people. New med schools are opening up relatively frequently.

Now, of all the American-born Indians who choose to go to med school in India, did any of them score above 30 on the MCAT? Did most of them even BOTHER taking the MCAT?

I know that the vast majority of doctors coming over from India are great doctors, and I'm always impressed by how strong the Indian physician demographic is. At each hospital I worked at, the Indian doctors were nearly always extremely sharp and damn good. But that's not my point. My point is that if a person is properly qualified to enter med school, that person WILL be able to enter med school, provided he applies to enough schools and is willing to re-apply if needed.

It frightens me to think that if I end up in a hospital as a patient, my doctor may be some guy who didn't have what it takes to get into school in the US, so he used a loophole to get medical training in another country, and after many attempts at the USMLE he finally passed it and is now about to treat me. A bit of a stretch, perhaps, but like I said, this is PEOPLE'S LIVES at stake.

And as for the money issue: federal loans are very forgiving and easily dealt with on a physician's earnings.

I whole-heartedly agree. 100%

dockdock said:

Not only do I once again agree with the wisdom of dockdock, but he's becoming my new favorite poster in the India forum. ...where I pretty much come just to squabble.

hey...i think you should stick with doing your mbbs and md from the states and not india , if youre planning to practice there...since you have the opportunity and its better to do your studies where you plan to work...kind of the reason why ive joined an indian med college ..coz i am going to live and practice here...

dockdock said:
It frightens me to think that if I end up in a hospital as a patient, my doctor may be some guy who didn't have what it takes to get into school in the US.

Free Will included?? :D