Question that I hadn't thought of- Hours of work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, I was just wondering, i know sometimes docs work crazy hours. I was just wondering how that was in the military. my father was a medic in the army and he worked 8-4 M-F. just wondering how things are now. if you could tell your branch of service and your specialty, that would be awesome. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

virilep said:
hey all, I was just wondering, i know sometimes docs work crazy hours. I was just wondering how that was in the military. my father was a medic in the army and he worked 8-4 M-F. just wondering how things are now. if you could tell your branch of service and your specialty, that would be awesome. Thanks a bunch.

I assume that you are not talking about time as a resident. Depending on your billet, you could be working 80+ hours a week, especially in primary care. On the other hand it could be very reasonable. The peditriacians at the MEDCENs work awesome hours, except for the neonatologists who get hosed everywhere. However, at the MEDAC you work until the work is done which, as attendings explain it to me, can be very long hours. Also, don't forget call -- if you are only one of two docs in your specialty, you'll be on call every other night.

Ed

edmadison said:
I assume that you are not talking about time as a resident. Depending on your billet, you could be working 80+ hours a week, especially in primary care. On the other hand it could be very reasonable. The peditriacians at the MEDCENs work awesome hours, except for the neonatologists who get hosed everywhere. However, at the MEDAC you work until the work is done which, as attendings explain it to me, can be very long hours. Also, don't forget call -- if you are only one of two docs in your specialty, you'll be on call every other night.

Ed

How about the hours of GMO's and flight surgeons in the Navy?

It will mirror what civilian residents work. And remember that your program is nominally working their residents 80 hours per week.