Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi, my Medicine Chair's letter was uploaded a few weeks ago, but apparently I forgot to assign it to one of the programs that has already given me a prelim med interview. So today I assigned it but I later looked at their website and realized that their deadline has passed and they only require 2 LOR's anyway. I had already assigned 2 LOR's when I applied (one from my advanced specialty and one from family medicine). In their requirements, they mention that at least one of the letters has to be from IM subspecialty or IM primary care preceptor. In other words, they do not necessarily require a Chair's LOR. I am just not sure if the family med LOR counts as required LOR or not.

I looked on ERAS a few minutes ago and it seems that the program has not retrieved that third LOR which makes sense I guess since their deadline has passed. I was wondering, did I annoy that program by assigning that third LOR? I know they already thought I was worthy of an interview based on my original LOR's, but I just thought it was good to have an official IM LOR on file too when it comes to ranking sessions.

I guess I can remove it too since it hasn't been retrieved (But I think the program will still know that the LOR was assigned). But my philosophy was that if the PD of that program really doesn't want to read that third LOR, they would just ignore it.

Your advice is appreciated...

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
You are seriously overthinking this. No one is going to care. The "deadline" is probably for reviewing new applications and assigning interviews. Wouldn't surprise me if they contact the ERAS postoffice to get more documentation on applicants -- updated Step 2 scores, etc. They'll see the letter, and it will be totally fine. Don't remove it -- first that's silly, and second you can't really remove it -- they'll get it anyway and it will be marked as inactive.

OP
F

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks a lot aPD. The program's website mentioned that the deadline for receiving "all application materials" is Nov. 15. But I guess as you said, since they had already given me an interview AND I had all the required LOR's in anyway, it doesn't really matter. You know as applicants we all get neuroric sometimes and worry about totally silly things.

From what I know, I think you are an IM PD, am I correct? I am not sure if your program has a prelim program within it, but I guess you can help me with this question.

In general, what are the criteria for selecting applicants for prelim interviews? I know it varies depending on the program, but I have heard that USMLE scores are probably the most important, am I right?

I have applied to about 25 or so prelim med programs. I remember that a lot of my classmates were telling me that I overapplied to those. Also I haven't been selective and I think about 15-20 of these programs are not in super-competitive locations.

I have been surprised that so far I have only received about 13 or so invites from these programs out of the 25 that I applied to (and I might add, I have already turned some of them down). I think in the end I will end up going on 8 prelim and one or two TY's. I know that is probably still plenty to get me matched. But I am def. happy that I "over-applied" so that now I don't have to worry about lack of invites. Also today I got my first rejection from an IM prelim. Oh well.

Have a nice Thanksgiving and thank you for your help!

Last edited: