Question to aPD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karatekid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might sound crazy but since I'm losing sleep over it I have to ask:

I'm a FMG who is participating in this years match. I would say I'm a strong candidate on paper (have done my internship year in Europe and 2yrs of residency in Peds surg, research fellowship here in US with a couple of publications).
Long story short I decided to apply for gen surg in US since I truely believe that the training here is much better than back home. A couple of days ago I got interview from one of the most prestiges program here in US :eek:
Since I know there are AMG and people who are more competetive than me out there without interviews, my question is if there has been a mistake? (I have got confirmation for the interview). If not, what can I expect?
By the way I have interviews at other community and university hospitals but they can't compete with the hospital in question!

Thanks for your reply,

best.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a FMG who is participating in this years match. I would say I'm a strong candidate on paper (have done my internship year in Europe and 2yrs of residency in Peds surg, research fellowship here in US with a couple of publications).
Long story short I decided to apply for gen surg in US since I truely believe that the training here is much better than back home. A couple of days ago I got interview from one of the most prestiges program here in US :eek:
Since I know there are AMG and people who are more competetive than me out there without interviews, my question is if there has been a mistake? (I have got confirmation for the interview). If not, what can I expect?
By the way I have interviews at other community and university hospitals but they can't compete with the hospital in question!

Thanks for your reply,

best.

Huh? How would anyone know if it was a mistake?

P.S.: Most likely it is real. Enjoy.

Thanks for your reply,

best.

Well you have 2 options.

1) Take the interview and be thankful.
2) Call them and ask them if they made a mistake. Then insist that they may have made a mistake cause there are other applicants more qualified (SARCASM HERE)

Well you have 2 options.

1) Take the interview and be thankful.
2) Call them and ask them if they made a mistake. Then insist that they may have made a mistake cause there are other applicants more qualified (SARCASM HERE)

Let me re-phrase the question: Could they have made a mistake? Like I said I'm not questioning if I'm good for the position, I certainly deserve it, but still I AM A FMG, and from the stories that I have heard that is huge factor for not getting interviews.

Let me re-phrase the question: Could they have made a mistake? Like I said I'm not questioning if I'm good for the position, I certainly deserve it, but still I AM A FMG, and from the stories that I have heard that is huge factor for not getting interviews.

Anything’s possible. But more than likely you're more competitive than you give yourself credit for. Is FMG status a factor for not getting interviews? Sure. But it's not the only factor. Lots of FMGs get interviews at good programs every year.

You got the interview. Congrats. Now run with it.

Agree with all above. It could be a mistake. Last year one of my office staff offered an interview to someone we planned to decline, noticed it after he was already scheduled. We interviewed him, and then did rank him. So, even if a mistake, you could get on the rank list. Perhaps someone was really impressed with your research. Or, they know some of the people you trained with prior. Who knows? Asking whether it's a mistake is a mistake -- it suggests you don't believe in yourself. If you can afford it, you simply go interview and have a good time. "I'm certain you had many very qualified candidates, and I'm honored that you chose to interview me" is a good attitude to take.

AND is it for a PRELIM GS position or a Categorical one (Buzz has a good point that there are some places which have name recognition but aren't necessarily prestigious in certain fields)?

But at any rate, congratulations; I hope it works out well for you.