Question to dental students/dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dookiester

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Im currently enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin. Im a junior and am almost done with my prereqs for dentistry (only lab and a physiology class left). I have a 3.8 overall, 3.5 science gpa. I got test credit for all the early sciences (bio, chem), and got A's in both organics.

The thing is, I'm a business major and I struggled in physics, genetics, and currently biochemistry. I got B's in physics and genetics, and currently have a B in biochem despite studying my butt off. Does my struggles in these classes indicate struggles in dental school? Because I honestly have a lot of free time, and my business classes are so easy, I wonder if having a full load of pure sciences in dental school would just murder me...

Also, I took a practice DAT, cold turkey, without studying at all and got some nasty numbers (14 science, 20 Q, 18 reading, 15 PAT). If I studied in the summer, took KAPLAN course, would it be reasonable to see me improve to the 18-19 or even 20 range? And would that be good enough to get me into any of the 3 Texas dental schools?

Any feedback would be much appreciated...I have been stressing like crazy questioning if I would be able to make it as a dentist or not, whether I have what it takes just to get in, thinking if I should give up!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

dookiester said:
Does my struggles in these classes indicate struggles in dental school?

Not at all. And, although you grades are perfect, they are far from struggling. Don't kid yourself--people who "struggle" often end up repeating failed courses or have difficulty getting a C.

Science is important in dental school, but then you move past it and apply it in real terms to real patients. Science has very little to do with the art of dentistry (at least not science in the terms that you are referring to it).

dookiester said:
Hi all, Im currently enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin. Im a junior and am almost done with my prereqs for dentistry (only lab and a physiology class left). I have a 3.8 overall, 3.5 science gpa. I got test credit for all the early sciences (bio, chem), and got A's in both organics.

The thing is, I'm a business major and I struggled in physics, genetics, and currently biochemistry. I got B's in physics and genetics, and currently have a B in biochem despite studying my butt off. Does my struggles in these classes indicate struggles in dental school? Because I honestly have a lot of free time, and my business classes are so easy, I wonder if having a full load of pure sciences in dental school would just murder me...

Also, I took a practice DAT, cold turkey, without studying at all and got some nasty numbers (14 science, 20 Q, 18 reading, 15 PAT). If I studied in the summer, took KAPLAN course, would it be reasonable to see me improve to the 18-19 or even 20 range? And would that be good enough to get me into any of the 3 Texas dental schools?

Any feedback would be much appreciated...I have been stressing like crazy questioning if I would be able to make it as a dentist or not, whether I have what it takes just to get in, thinking if I should give up!! :(

Quit smoking and drinking cold turkey are difficult. And that doesn't involve any thinking! How can you take DAT or any exam without studying?! Maybe you're just not as smart as you thought! Just kidding!

Your GPAs are golden! You need a competitive DAT score to get in TX schools, at least 19. Take Kaplan course, study their books and do ALL of the practice exams, listen to their tapes/videos for explainations... The class instructor usually suck, just a 1st, 2nd dental or med student teaching. They don't know what the hell they're talking about.

It's highly possible for you to score at least 19! I did and my GPAs were not even close to yours!

Don't despair, Grass hopper! Relax and study hard! Get a 19 score and don't even bother to apply out of state. TX schools are great! friendly folks!

If you think that your science background is weak then try to take Human anatomy, physiology classes before enrolling in dental school. It'll help you out tremendously!

Good luck Grass hopper! Stay positive!

Members don't see this ad :)
dookiester said:

You are prefect..... Don't let those practice exams fool you they are just practice..

Brutus0725 said:
You are prefect..... Don't let those practice exams fool you they are just practice..

Yep...i only pulled 16-17's on practice tests, then 20's on the real deal.... As for Kaplan, i didnt do it and heard from friends that it was a waste of a 1000 bucks. you'll be fine. I'd say with your stats, you wouldn't have to be a rockstar on the DAT anyway......

I agree with what everybody has said so far...I just want to remind you to apply early (in June-early July). I have seen how doing this can help people with lower DAT's can get in on December 1. :D

lnn2 said:
How can you take DAT or any exam without studying?! Maybe you're just not as smart as you thought! Just kidding!
When I took the DAT I didn't even know it had a space perception, or whatever it's called, section. I went cold turkey on the DAT just like I did with many dental school tests and now a pediatrics shelf exam.

thanks everybody. now I'm having doubts about surviving dental school. i seriously wonder if I can survive the 4 years of science, 8-5 everyday...it makes my head hurt just thinking about it, because I don't particularly LIKE science. I see it more as just something I have to put up with in order to be a dentist? ...but then it probably beats working at an office for some corporation...