Question to Gasdoc and other anesthesiologists

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Amadeus, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Amadeus

Amadeus Member
    10+ Year Member

How did you get interested in Anesthesia? Any thoughts about the field would be appreciated...forget about the crna issues.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Justin4563

Justin4563 Membership Revoked
    Removed

great specialty very fun and interactive the only speacialty in medicine to consider....... Pick your residency wisely

4. jayhawk premed

7+ Year Member

Anethesia happens to be one of the areas I am interested in myself. I had a lot of exposure to anesthesia as a corpsman in the Navy. I worked as an OR tech, anesthesia tech, and obstetrical surgical tech.

The things I like about anesthesia: technical aspect, constant interaction with new patients, great schedule, nice income, variety of cases, and an abundance of moonlighting opportunities.

The things that I might not like about anesthesia:
    Once the cases start, you are kind of sitting on your butt doing nothing, except for that 1% of the time when you are dealing with an unstable patient. The call schedule can be rough depending upon the group you work with or the hospital's policies regarding in-house call. Getting called up to the surgical floors every time a nurse can't get an IV started.

It's a great field, and I doubt that CRNAs are going to gain independence anytime soon.

Best of luck to you.