Question to Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mephisto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a (great) dilemma. I have to choose between my state school (UMass) and Boston University. What do you guys think? Nothing can beat 13k/year (TOTAL!) of UMass, while few schools top BU in terms of tuition. Maybe you med students can honestly tell me as far as residency match goes, how much more can the name of BU give me than what UMass can give me? I'd appreciate advice from people who are at neither BU or UMass cause obvioulsy there's bias there. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Mephisto said:
I am having a (great) dilemma. I have to choose between my state school (UMass) and Boston University. What do you guys think? Nothing can beat 13k/year (TOTAL!) of UMass, while few schools top BU in terms of tuition. Maybe you med students can honestly tell me as far as residency match goes, how much more can the name of BU give me than what UMass can give me? I'd appreciate advice from people who are at neither BU or UMass cause obvioulsy there's bias there. Thanks!

UMass is an excellent medical school, I've only heard good things about the students who come out of the institution, and ranks highly in US News for primary care. I've learned specifically from a former pediatric resident that she worked with many residents who came from UMass at MGH.

Personally having gone to a state school, I think the education I received can't be beat. Coming from the midwest, I could not distinguish BU from UMass. Ultimately, it depends which school you would be happier at. Happiness is a big key during med school (and residency for that matter). Go with your gut.

As for tuition, it probably won't matter in the long run. But keep in mind that your federal loan packages are capped at a certain level which may require you to take out private loans to cover the difference.

Take this for what its worth, but I would stick with UMass.

Members don't see this ad :)
go with UMass. There is nothing special about BU that would justify the ridiculous tuition.

Easy decision. UMass. Boston U is not a big name, if it was Harvard you would have to factor in the name value, nobody gives a crap about Boston U.

I agree. I've not read anything to suggest that BU has more cache than Umass anyway. I'd do Umass in a heartbeat and save the money. Umass is a solid medical school. You can't go wrong.
Judd

Mephisto said:

Some people seem to assume that state schools are by default worse than private schools. UMass and BU are both average rated med schools, neither of which will have any particularly positive effects on your residency placement. You should go check their match lists if you want to reassure yourself-- I suspect you will find them very similar in overall match quality. Coming from either school, you will be perfectly capable of getting competitive residencies, but it will be up to you to excel in med school and get a good Step 1 score, as no residency director is going to be wowed by your med school.

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate your advice. I'll probably go with UMass. You guys are totally awesome. There was a debate on the pre-allo thread about this and it was nice to get advice from those who actually are in med school and know.

As some one that has interviewed at both schools and ended up not going to either. I would recommend to go with UMass. I got a great impression fo the school when I visited while BU seemed cold and impersonal.

Despite this here are some things that you might want to consider in choosing.

1. Amount of class time per day. I didn't realize how big of a factor it was while I was interviewing. As luck would have it I ended up at a school that rarelly has class past noon so I have a ton of free time and I can't imagine having to be in class from 8-5

2. What are your other classmates like. I believe both of these schools are going to have visiting days toward the end of the april or beginning of may. I encourage you to go to see whether or not you get along better with students from one school then the other. Your classmates can make the medical school experience fun and exciting or just miserable.

But once again, all things being equal I would go with UMass.

Go to UMass. Unless you can't bear to live in Worcester.

If it were me I would go to UMASS. Both schools let you become a physician but one school is MUCH more expensive than the other. Unless that other school was Harvard, Johns hopkins, Wash U. or Mayo go to UMASS!

I am not a doctor yet, but here is my 2cents:
I have a similar choice and am going with BU (or Tufts) because I liked the facilities and the location better. Also there is more research opportunity at BU. I am buying a house in Boston. And Boston Medical is awsome!!! Also, the matches are not comparable at all. I liked BU's matches much better, less PC than UMass. Most importantly, money is not a factor for me since I am on full scholarship.

Having said that,
I think that you should choose Umass for the money. If you ask US News and WW (for what it is worth), Umass is better than Harvard for Primary, and working its way up the research ranks as well. Taken for all in all, Umass is about the same, possibly a little better over all, than BU.
UMass is working very hard to increase its reputation and its facilities, that can only mean good things for students.

And I agree with the cocky bastard up top (Doc05) who says that there is nothing about BU that would justify paying 15,000 more. Worchester really sucks, but it is much, much , much, much, much, much, much, much cheaper to live there than in boston. So your savings will not only be in tuition, but in rent. Potentialy 6,000+ per year difference. Also UMass has the 2/3 tuition program. Remember, when you borrow money, you may pay back more than the amount you borrowed becasue interest sucks.

Both schools are equal except for the money. BTW UMass and BU both have EXCELLENT names in the Boston area, according to the people I know at MGH.

ptstanto said:
As for tuition, it probably won't matter in the long run. But keep in mind that your federal loan packages are capped at a certain level which may require you to take out private loans to cover the difference.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Please tell me you're kidding! Unless you're independently wealthy, that big of a difference in tuition matters a ton in the long run...I mean, by the time you're 50 or so it probably won't matter, but up until then you're going to feel the pain of >$200,000 in loans...
:luck: