Question to Non Traditional Students applying to Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Non-Traditional Student applying to Dental School. I always wanted to go to dental school but after graduating I spent a few years working for my family business. I am in the process of applying right now but also want to leave the family business. Should I look into dental assisting or something else Healthcare related just in case Dental School doesn't work out. I'm curious what kind of jobs other Non-Trade have here? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a Non-Traditional Student applying to Dental School. I always wanted to go to dental school but after graduating I spent a few years working for my family business. I am in the process of applying right now but also want to leave the family business. Should I look into dental assisting or something else Healthcare related just in case Dental School doesn't work out. I'm curious what kind of jobs other Non-Trade have here? Thanks for any advice.
I work in dental equipment repair as a biomed technician and previously held a job as a mechanical engineer. You could really go for any kind of job you find enjoyable.

Be prepared to answer questions at every interview on why dentistry and not what you were previously doing, and take it seriously because you will often be being genuinely asked since there is somewhat of a stigma about "changing careers".

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared to answer questions at every interview on why dentistry and not what you were previously doing, and take it seriously because you will often be being genuinely asked since there is somewhat of a stigma about "changing careers".

I'm not really changing careers, I've worked for my family business throughout College with the intention of always going to Dental School. After graduating a few personal events happened that sidetracked me. I only held this job to support myself and not get into any debt, which I have zero. I'm willing to even take a dental assistant job or something if it helps that it is related to the field.

No, I totally understand where you are coming from. I'm just saying as a non-trad myself, this is something that you will have to answer to and ultimately convince adcoms that dentistry is your first choice. It's certainly a pain in the rear end, but you very may likely be perceived differently by them than you do for yourself because your path isn't exactly cookie cutter.

I can understand that. I think it helps that my current job has really honed my communication and interpersonal skills. i hope that this can be towards my advantage in interviews.

It depends what your original degree is in. I am 30, and graduated from Texas A&M in 2010 with a construction management degree. I worked in it for 7 years before deciding to go back. BUT, when I did go back, I went pedal to the metal taking hard science classes at a university with a good reputation for the sciences. I have been in full time school since the beginning of 2018. I did get accepted and will be attending UT School of Dentistry in Houston this August, but I firmly believe that without going back to school and showing them a year of good grades in hard classes and going above and beyond the listed "prerequisites", I never would have had a chance at getting in. I scored well on the DAT (1.5 above their average accepted student) and have a 4.0 in the 33 hours I have taken since going back to school, and I still believe I barely got in by the skin on my teeth (Feb 4 acceptance). Even if your original degree is science-related, taking at least part time classes is important to show them you can still cut it academically since you have been out of school for a few years. Here in Texas, the schools always tell you NOT to just get a dental assistant job. You can do it part time, but they want you to be academically involved as well, even if you already have a science degree.

It depends what your original degree is in. I am 30, and graduated from Texas A&M in 2010 with a construction management degree. I worked in it for 7 years before deciding to go back. BUT, when I did go back, I went pedal to the metal taking hard science classes at a university with a good reputation for the sciences. I have been in full time school since the beginning of 2018. I did get accepted and will be attending UT School of Dentistry in Houston this August, but I firmly believe that without going back to school and showing them a year of good grades in hard classes and going above and beyond the listed "prerequisites", I never would have had a chance at getting in. I scored well on the DAT (1.5 above their average accepted student) and have a 4.0 in the 33 hours I have taken since going back to school, and I still believe I barely got in by the skin on my teeth (Feb 4 acceptance). Even if your original degree is science-related, taking at least part time classes is important to show them you can still cut it academically since you have been out of school for a few years. Here in Texas, the schools always tell you NOT to just get a dental assistant job. You can do it part time, but they want you to be academically involved as well, even if you already have a science degree.
Congrats on your acceptance

I actually did go back and take a lot of science classes that I did really well in after graduating. I currently have about 2 left that I need to take. I really do not want to do an SMP, but would not be opposed to an MPH or something.