question to NYCOM students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if you could tell me about NYCOM's 3rd and 4th year rotation options. Do you have the choice of going to hospitals in rural NY during this time? I am a very rural oriented person and would not be comfortable having my family in the city. I respect anyone who would like to work in the inner city areas and I think that is great, but I have always lived in the country and hope that they have rural areas to rotate??? The first two years I am sure would be fine. I'd be in school working then anyway right? And the school seems to be located in a decent area to raise/school our three little ones.

I applied to NYCOM with the assumption that I could be on to a rural area after the preclerkship. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

-Dan

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dan,
I am a third year at NYCOM....we have plenty of upstate rotations if thats what you want to do. NYCOM has two different options for third year-you can either go into a lottery where each student ranks the hopitals they would like to be at for each rotation, or you can apply and interview for a regional program where you are at one hospital for the whole year. You could enter the lottery and potentially get all your rotations upstate, or if you want to live in one place for the whole year then your best bet might be the regional program. Even though you have to apply it shouldnt be very hard to get, especially if you let them know you are interested in being in that area for residency. Hope this makes sense, let me know if you have anymore questions.