Question to the Docs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasmineH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the risk factors are for a person who is pregnant and on anti-depressants?? My sisters doctor told her she should not be trying to get pregnant while she is on them. She's taking citalopram.

Members don't see this ad.

My Monthly Prescribing Reference lists Celexa (citalopram) as class C for pregnancy, which means that there are no adequate or controlled studies regarding the safety for use in pregnancy, therefore it should only be used if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks to the fetus.

Hope that helps. Anyone else got any other info?

Billie

wellbutrin is the only anti-depressant out there ( i am pretty sure there are no others)
that is Cat B

------------------
ob/gyn wannabe

The package inserts of many antidepressants suggest discontinuing the med during pregnancy -- UNLESS the benefits of the drug outweigh the potential harm to the fetus. If this is mild situational depression, a weaning of the drug may be appropriate. If it's a serious case, there are two issues: whether it would be harmful to a fetus and whether now is a good time for a pregnancy given the health of the potential mom.