benzylique

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I just had a question about computers.

If I own a laptop, and i'm living at Trinity hall, can I download bit torrent files when i'm connected to the internet at the dorm?

Just wondering since i'll probably be downloading lost episodes through bit torrent....!!!! :D

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
messymedic.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
You might be able to...but 1) the TCD network can be really finicky and may not accept large files. I had a problem with this, even sometimes trying to get powerpoint files. Downloading can be okay, but uploading can be a big problem. Some people didn't have a problem, but I did in my rooms. I wasn't at Trinity Hall, but I imagine it could be the same. 2) TCD network might not let you access some programs...although there is a way to get by the proxy, I just haven't found it yet.

Currently on the TCD network, you CANNOT access AIM, MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger. Unless you figure out how to get by the stupid proxy. BUT I think it does allow Skype and it does allow GoogleTalk. So switch now and get all your friends to switch. If you can skype, I don't know if it'll let you video chat or not... the lag time is pretty big and you get disconnected.

arachniphobic73

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
hmm does anyone know how the network stuff works at UCD (in glenomena)? - will i be able to log onto msn messenger? and if i'm using videochat, how lagged will it be? is it a huge problem?

thanks

About the Ads
OP
B

benzylique

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
The TCD network sounds pretty crappy! So there is a way of getting on to msn... no one knows how to by pass the proxy??
So video chat is laggy when you're hooked up to the TCD network?? That's the way i was going to communicate with peple from back home!!! ****ty deal... I was goign to use video chat and msn... nice to know they won't work when i get there!!!

misspiggy28

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
wwwhat?? no msn? so much for feeling connected to all the people I'm leaving behind... that bites...i think i'll tell everyone to start using the chat function in gmail...

irishgrad

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
Dublin
Status
misspiggy28 said:
wwwhat?? no msn? so much for feeling connected to all the people I'm leaving behind... that bites...i think i'll tell everyone to start using the chat function in gmail...
just use msn webmessenger. its the same but with a few less shiny bits.

webmessenger.msn.com

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
messymedic.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
mm, i have disconnection problems when I go on AIM messenger. Googletalk and Skype work fine. I personally haven't tried videochatting, I gave my webcam away when i realized msn wouldn't work. I'm not saying you can't do it, you just have to find someone who knows how to get around the proxy. It's not a crappy network, they just impose a couple limitations that are pretty annoying. I think they are working on being able to access those chat programs.

About the Ads