question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vyparik1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Fluorescent anti-immunoglobulin stain another way of saying Indirect fluorescence stain or assay?

thanks

v

Members don't see this ad.

There's a difference between direct and indirect fluorence. Direct fluorence involves using only 1 antibody (e.g. primary antibody) conguated to a fluorence marker. With indirect fluorence, you're using an unlabelled primary antibody with a secondary antibody (which is primed against the primary antibody) conguated to a fluorence marker. With a indirect influorence, you're trying to achieve a stronger signal. If you're tagging your antibody with a fluorence, then it is immunofluorence. Whether its in- or direct immunofluorence depends on which antibody (primary or secondary) is bound to the fluorence marker. The ELISA assay is ex. of using indirect. Hoped this helped. :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the reply SmOOTH13. But, I actually wanted to know if a fluorescent anti-immunoglobin stain is the same assay as an indirect immunofluorescence assay? I ask this because I found no information on fluorescent anti-immunoglobin staining and lots of things on indirect immunofluorescence assay. So, are these two assays exactly the same? Are there just two different names for the same assay?

Thanks in advance for helping.

V

It looks like they would be the same. The first one is anti-immunoglobulin, which suggests to me that it is indirect.