question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did you guys use a typewriter or handwrite your application? Where'd you find a typewriter? Do you think it makes a difference? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I used a typewriter if there was no way to do it on the computer. Do not handwrite in my opinion. Most public libraries have typewriters.

I used a typewriter at work (after hours). I definately think it helps to use a typewriter and don't advise using a pen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I handwrote all my apps that were not on the computer. at most, for the essays, if they were required and were long ones, I typed it up on the computer, printed it up and did a fun little arts and crafts pasting job.
point is, I don't see that it did anything to hinder my progress--i've been invited to plenty of interviews and have two acceptances at this point. I did save the headache of working with typewriters and correction tape, and made my life much much easier.
it's up to you, but i wouldn't do it because it's "necessary."

I agree with senioritis. As long as the apps look nice, typing isn't necessary, esp. writing your name, short answers, etc. They care about the content of your app, not about how you put the words on the paper.

I borrowed a self-correcting typewriter for all my secondaries (that couldn't be done on-line). I think it looks better, but obviously, from senioritisplease's experience, it isn't crucial.
Some SDNers got really good deals on self correcting typewriters on eBay. There was a lot of discussion of this topic a while back, and the concensus seemed to be, type or word-process if at all possible.

I agree... I hand-wrote all the ones that couldn't be typed and attached additional sheets for my essays if they were allowed. I haven't seen it make a difference... :)