1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question....

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by agutier3, Nov 10, 2002.

1. agutier3

agutier3 The City By the Bay

If you see that others (who turned in their application later than you), have been contacted by schools for interviews, does that mean you will not be chosen to interview there? Do adcoms ever go back to review applications that they've looked over already? My materials have all been sent in......

I'm still waiting to hear from some of my top choice schools. December 1 is coming soon and I'm wondering whether to hold out for these couple of schools or go ahead and choose from the options that I have at that time. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RSXer

RSXer :) UoMBCDSCo07 :)

Hey Arby,

I'm in the same boat. I'm still waiting to hear from some schools as well. I talked to a friend of mine who works as an admissions officer for a medical school about this. I think that, in general, dental schools will do one of three things after looking at your AADSAS complete application:

1) choose to invite you for interview
    2) deny you an interview (probably based on you not meeting the academic minimum requirements)

or
    3) put your application off to the side.

This is probably what's happened to you and me....and everyone else who submitted real early on AADSAS and is still waiting to hear from schools. Adcoms will put borderline applicants to the side and will most likely revisit them later on in the app cycle. It's difficult for adcoms to anticipate the caliber of applicants they will receive. So, depending on the type of applicants they receive later on in the cylec and depending also on how manty seats are left once their first round of acceptance letters are submitted, adcoms will reconsider applicants that they didn't think warrant an interview earlier in the cycle. I think this is how it works.

.....at least I HOPE this is how it works. That way, I still have some hope for some more interviews. :p :p

4. agutier3

Dude.....makes sense. Thanks! I've decided that I will make my decision sometime in December whether or not these schools....ehem, UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, Loma Linda, and Marquette contact me.

I don't think I'd want to go to a school which pushes my application to the side in hopes of getting better candidates. Of course if I get flat-out rejected, then that's a totally different story. :D I go where I'm wanted......thanks again for the clarification!

Arby

5. Brand

Brand Senior Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Marquette interviews at all. I believe the first contact we get from them is when we are accepted. Well, actually they send a secondary, but you know what I mean.

6. agutier3

My mistake....scratch Marquette. Thanks Brand for your input.

7. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

marquette interviews wisconsin residents only.