Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crawgator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to PA school and have been also offered a spot to attend nursing school. My question is this: I know the diff regarding medical model vs. nursing model and all other diff, but it seems to me that it is much easier to locate a job after graduation with most RN's, even ADNs, exceeding the typical salary of a PA. I have had the opportunity to work with both in the military, but would the nursing route offer more expansion within the filed? I have been accepted to a primary care PA school, and have an interest in surgery, but after careful consideration, declined the SPA program that I had been accepted to. Any suggestions? I know that I can work in surgery even though I graduated from a primary care school, can't I? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

while there are certainly more rn jobs than pa jobs out there the avg pa makes more than the avg rn by at least 10-15k/yr to start. agency rn's can make 50/hr, but locums pa's can make 75/hr. it really comes down to if you want to be a clinician or spend your life following others orders

Emedpa,

Thanks for your response. You certainly did clear up any indecision that I have now. I have a couple of other questions to ask you if you don't mind:
1. Was accepted to both a SPA/Primary care school; turned down the SPA school b/c of alot response from practicing PAs that explained that I would recieve a much more well-rounded education-do you agree?
2. I do have an interest in surgery; can I enter a surgical field after passing the boards? Is it true that most MDs really does not know the diff between the two? I guess what I'm trying to say is that does SPAs have a distinct advantage entering a surgical job over a regular PA, or does it really matter? We would all be PA-C's, right?
3. If you don't mind me asking, what school did you graduate from? Do you really enjoy Emergency Med? I just wanted to make the best decision for myself if you know what I mean.
4. Is there anything that you would recommend me doing as far as studying,etc. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again for everything

Members don't see this ad :)
1/2. BETTER TO DO A PRIMARY CARE PROGRAM AND THEN A SURGICAL RESIDENCY
3. HAHNEMANN. EM IS GREAT. LOTS OF OPPORTUNITY FOR FULL SCOPE PRACTICE
4. RELAX FOR NOW, YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO STUDY IN SCHOOL
NOTE OF INTEREST: 2002 PA SALARY SURVRY OUT TODAY FROM AAPA: AVG PA SALARY $72, 241

Thanks for your reply. You have helped me alot and I might have to call on you again when the opportunity presents itself if you don't mind. I'm wet behind the ears, so I hope that my questions won't offend you.

Thanks and Happy 2003!!!!