Question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Combatbarbie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on going back to the military after getting a MD degree from the Caribbean. Once I graduate can I go right back?? Will I need a residency first?

Members don't see this ad.

Once she's done with an Intern year in the US, I think he can join (residency complete probably prefered but I don't really know). Are you sure there are no Carib grads in the entire military?

Last edited:
Once he's done with an Intern year in the US, I think he can join (residency complete probably prefered but I don't really know). Are you sure there are no Carib grads in the entire military?
Perrot's right. Unless things have changed (again), Carib grads were eligible for serving as military physicians once they'd done a U.S. intern-year. They were ineligible for military residency, but there was discussion that this would possibly change.

But for Barbie- you'll need to do at least an internship at this time. Keep an eye on policy. If your interests are career military and policy doesn't change, you'd be wise to do a full civilian residency then join.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, I was under the impression they were ineligible period. I knew they can't get the HPSP, and can't do a military internship. Are you saying that if they complete a civilian internship they are then eligible for a military residency? Or do they not have access to the military GME system at all, and can only serve as attendings after completion of a U.S. civilian internship and/or residency?

I don't know about residency, but there is a fellow at a MEDCEN that graduated from a non-US school, did FAP, and then got picked up for a fellowship right after residency. He started fellowship late because he had to complete COT first.

Interesting, I was under the impression they were ineligible period. I knew they can't get the HPSP, and can't do a military internship. Are you saying that if they complete a civilian internship they are then eligible for a military residency? Or do they not have access to the military GME system at all, and can only serve as attendings after completion of a U.S. civilian internship and/or residency?

As of 2005, I knew of at least 2 Carib graduates on active duty.

One was even pictured in an advertisement for his school in Newsweek I think it was February or March of 2005.

I don't know where they did GME, and I am not certain about rules regarding FMG's and .mil residency.

i want out (of IRR)

Last I'd heard, IMGs were ineligible for military GME. They could finish a civilian internship and join the service as GMO's (but could not later complete a military residency) or join post-residency and serve as BC'd physicians. Not sure about how fellowships work for IMGs.

I've heard that there was a push to allow IMG's access to military GME, but I last heard this when Iraq was more hot/heavy. Since HPSP numbers have gone up a bit this year, I don't know if that kind of talk has cooled.

According to dtn3t, IMGs can do FAP, which stands to reason, since it's entirely civilian training.

Maybe I should just go to a DO school in the US? Think that would be better?

if that option is available to you, then i would say yes, definitely

Of course it would be better. Not just from a military standpoint, but for everything to do with the rest of your career.
Couldn't agree more.

When it comes to getting into an allopathic residency, the pecking order is:

US MD > US DO >>>>>>> Int'l MD

You'll find DOs in almost every allopathic residency program (plus they have their own residencies as well). For many specialties/programs, there will be no preference given between DOs and MDs. For some specialties/programs, MDs will be preferred, but DOs are still very much considered.

The writing is on the wall right now that medical school seats keep rising but residency seats are not. This means that more and more US MDs and DOs are going to be competing for fewer residency slots. This is going to make things very, very hard for IMGs for anything but the least competitive of slots.

A DO=MD in every licensing respect. You'll get over having to explain what your degree's initials means. It sure beats being more or less forced into a specialty you don't necessarily want.

Maybe I should just go to a DO school in the US? Think that would be better?

Yes for so many reasons

1) Over 90% of DO mariculants graduate, ,many Caribbean students fail out.

2) Just about every DO student that graduates, matches. There are many, many Carib grads that can't get a residency either for years or at all. As notdeadyet pointed out, this is going to get worse and worse as US medical school classes get bigger and the number of residency slots stays the same.

3) If you want to do the military I don't really see how it's a feasible financial option without either taking HPSP or going to a cheap, in state school and then taking FAP. With DO you can take HPSP, with the Carib you would be burried under a mountain of debt that your military salary wouldn't be sufficient to pay back. You can't even get government sponsored Grad loans for the Caribbean. The interest alone is going to be brutal.

4) Not every state licences every Caribbean grad, even if they've successfully completed a residency in another state. It's state by state and school by school (I think there are only 2 schools that will get you the right to practice in every single state once you're residency complete). I know NY and CA are especially picky, though if you want to live in flyover country (and who doesn't) you're probably safe.

Also, have you looked into programs like SMPs and high linkage post-bac programs? You might have more options for getting into a US allo school than you think. There are high linkage post-bac program to help you get into medical school (if you haven't finished your premed stuff yet) and also SMP programs to help you improve your application in a minimum amout of time (if you have finished your prereqs and just need a fast way to improve your resume). Check out the postbac forum at SDN for more info. Here's the basics, here's a list of SMP programs, and finally here are some reviews of various post-bac and SMP programs

Last edited: