1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MCATBUSTER, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MCATBUSTER

when it comes to overcoming adversity type of questions... can I talk about an adversity I had to overcome to come to the US and study premed and hopefully medicine? I mean I was raised in a war ravaged area but I dealt with this adversity during middle and high schools, however, when I came here to the US at 18 life was much less complicated ( I can't think of a real adversity that I faced living in the US; I guess I can talk about the need of finding new friends and adapting to new culture but I honestly don't see this as an adversity but as the normal part of life; people move around). Will this make a difference; not discussing an adversity during college but earlier in life?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ppfizenm

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Talk about adapting to a new culture or the war ravaged area

4. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Secrets to this type of question:

1) Don't whine
    2) Demonstrate growth/development
    3) Link to traits that are advantageous for a physician

All of these things have as much to do with how you write and present the situation as they do with the situation itself.