Questioning going to dental school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebentley

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've never posted on SDN before, but I am having such a hard time making this decision I figured I would seek some advice from pre-dents / dental students.

So, long story short, I applied to dental school last application cycle and was invited to interview. I had been working for years on having good stats and was very excited for the opportunity. On my interview day (though I think it went well) something felt wrong, it was almost like a feeling of foreboding. I ignored it and after interview day I tried to continue on as if I never had that feeling. I kept studying, shadowing, volunteering, etc. But, the bad feeling I had on interview day never left, rather it grew. This feeling continued growing until December 1st, at which point I was not accepted to dental school, but was pushed forward for second round decisions. I felt almost relieved at this point that I was not accepted, but yet continued studying, shadowing, and volunteering, though I was growing tired of doing these things.

When 2nd round decisions were made, and yet again I was not accepted, the relief I felt led me to be noticeably happier to friends and family. I took some time to consider the way I felt , and decided that I shouldn't ignore the subconscious reactions I was having to these events. I decided, tentatively, that I should no longer pursue dentistry. I had many reasons for this choice other than my feelings, one of them being that though I perform well under stress, I manage my stress terribly and let it overtake my life, leading me to feel pretty much joy-less and frantic most of the time. I was tired of feeling this way, and felt good about my decision that I am simply not mentally equipped enough to handle dental school or the demands of being a dentist.

Then came a plot twist, I was accepted to my in-state dental school off of the waitlist. This sent me into turmoil because obviously I had recently made some pretty big life choices, but being given the (in my mind completely unexpected at that point) chance to go to dental school is really hard to pass up. It was much easier to think, well, I won't apply again when the time comes if it doesn't feel right. I used to be completely in love with the profession, but somewhere along the line the stress became too much and started changing how I feel about it. Now I am facing this decision that will change the rest of my life, and I know I can't make this decision lightly. I know that dentistry is a profession that you should not go into unless you are extremely passionate about it. It is too difficult and there are too many risks associated. But, I used to be so passionate about it!

I guess what I am asking here is, how can I tell if the bad feelings I have been having about it are just stress build-up masking how I really feel, or if they are me realizing this profession isn't for me? Would seeking ways to properly manage stress suffice to fix this bad feeling I have about dental school? Or, should I listen to how I am feeling and decline the offer? I know this is a crazy question, but I am trying to get as many opinions as I can. I don't want to make a decision that I will regret for the rest of my life. I KNOW I am so fickle, worked my a** off for years to get into dental school, then upon being accepted am considering not doing it, I know. Don't even tell me. Also please don't tell me I was just butthurt about not getting accepted on December 1st, this all started far before that. No trolls please, just honest opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to talk to you family, not us.
Think about what your initial motivations for going into dentistry were, did any of that change, and why? I only skimmed through your post but I think what you told us was very vague, and we don't really know you as a person, so it's very difficult to help.

Reactions: 2 users
Talk to a psychiatrist.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I've never posted on SDN before, but I am having such a hard time making this decision I figured I would seek some advice from pre-dents / dental students.

So, long story short, I applied to dental school last application cycle and was invited to interview. I had been working for years on having good stats and was very excited for the opportunity. On my interview day (though I think it went well) something felt wrong, it was almost like a feeling of foreboding. I ignored it and after interview day I tried to continue on as if I never had that feeling. I kept studying, shadowing, volunteering, etc. But, the bad feeling I had on interview day never left, rather it grew. This feeling continued growing until December 1st, at which point I was not accepted to dental school, but was pushed forward for second round decisions. I felt almost relieved at this point that I was not accepted, but yet continued studying, shadowing, and volunteering, though I was growing tired of doing these things.

When 2nd round decisions were made, and yet again I was not accepted, the relief I felt led me to be noticeably happier to friends and family. I took some time to consider the way I felt , and decided that I shouldn't ignore the subconscious reactions I was having to these events. I decided, tentatively, that I should no longer pursue dentistry. I had many reasons for this choice other than my feelings, one of them being that though I perform well under stress, I manage my stress terribly and let it overtake my life, leading me to feel pretty much joy-less and frantic most of the time. I was tired of feeling this way, and felt good about my decision that I am simply not mentally equipped enough to handle dental school or the demands of being a dentist.

Then came a plot twist, I was accepted to my in-state dental school off of the waitlist. This sent me into turmoil because obviously I had recently made some pretty big life choices, but being given the (in my mind completely unexpected at that point) chance to go to dental school is really hard to pass up. It was much easier to think, well, I won't apply again when the time comes if it doesn't feel right. I used to be completely in love with the profession, but somewhere along the line the stress became too much and started changing how I feel about it. Now I am facing this decision that will change the rest of my life, and I know I can't make this decision lightly. I know that dentistry is a profession that you should not go into unless you are extremely passionate about it. It is too difficult and there are too many risks associated. But, I used to be so passionate about it!

I guess what I am asking here is, how can I tell if the bad feelings I have been having about it are just stress build-up masking how I really feel, or if they are me realizing this profession isn't for me? Would seeking ways to properly manage stress suffice to fix this bad feeling I have about dental school? Or, should I listen to how I am feeling and decline the offer? I know this is a crazy question, but I am trying to get as many opinions as I can. I don't want to make a decision that I will regret for the rest of my life. I KNOW I am so fickle, worked my a** off for years to get into dental school, then upon being accepted am considering not doing it, I know. Don't even tell me. Also please don't tell me I was just butthurt about not getting accepted on December 1st, this all started far before that. No trolls please, just honest opinions.

The first thing you have to think about is the financial aspect of dental school, and by that I mean you dont want to find yourself 50k+ in debt because you couldn't handle it. Dental school is hard and I believe it is something you have to really work on. That being the case, if you are questioning your decision it will only make dental school harder fpr you.

Your post as lau sang said is kinda vague. I understand that you used to love it but now you dont. Maybe try to go back to the main reason you wanted to become a dentist in the first place and that can help spark your interest again. You like many of us are lucky to have gotten an acceptance to dental school, but if you are questioning it, I am not sure it would be the best financial decision or mental decision for that matter either. Good luck in your decision!

Reactions: 1 users
Can I comment, I think - and correct me if I’m wrong - you may be a bit unfamiliar with SERIOUS anxiety. It sounds like anxiety is getting the best of your thoughts and distorting your perception of things. While I may be completely wrong, maybe you’re just scared of being forced into 4 years of stress followed by adulthood. If it truly is about disliking aspects of dentistry maybe you need to sit down and think long and hard about the pros and cons of becoming a dentist - literally write them down - and then make an educated, calm, emotionally distanced decision that may affect your future

Reactions: 4 users
I imagine dental school will offer some of the greatest challenges people who came in straight out of college have ever faced. It's pretty common for the difficulties to exasperate mental health issues or to bring out mental health issues in those who didn't have any at the start.

Hey all,

This sounds a lot like I what I was saying to my friends and family the past week. I haven't gotten accepted or taken the DAT yet, but I also had these feelings of doubt. Thinking about the debt really overwhelmed me and I looked into other healthcare careers. I considered pursuing becoming a physician assistant. The debt will be a lot smaller and the course of the program is also shorter. If you have the pre-reqs and hours it's another option you may want to look into. For me I felt like I was looking for the worst aspects in dentistry and talking myself out of pursuing this further, but I am in the middle of studying every day all day, which is probably why I felt fed up.

Think about whether or not you want to be business owner. Where do you want to practice? There's a lot of potential for you to earn more than you could as a nurse or PA. However, you will carry the large responsibilities that come from owning a business. If you want to work in healthcare, all professions demand different sets of responsibilities, so you can't avoid that. Life is a big "what if" game some times. Will you be comfortable walking away from this in 10-15 years?

From one fickle person to another, I'll elaborate on why I considered being a PA. There's a "lateral mobility" available. You can work in dermatology, which is a procedure-based specialty for a few years, then psych, which is generally less taxing on the body. You can work in a hospital, clinic, or private practice with varying degree of autonomy. The earning potential is lower, but so is the debt. Every profession has its pros and cons. How comfortable will you be when you're 60 with your choice?

In terms of performance anxiety in school and beyond, does your school offer remedial opportunities? And in terms of clinical experience, the dentists I've spoken to say the procedures become second nature after a few years.

Good luck with this decision. I think it's smart to check in with yourself before going forward in school and feeling like you're stuck because of debt. There's a lot of career changers who shared those similar feelings of doubt about the direction their professional career was going in.

Hey all,

There's too many things going on here - stress over stressing out in dental school, burnout from working v. hard in undergrad, uncertainty/anxiety over the future, etc.

I had similar doubts as you about whether I could hack it in dental school. Fast forward a year later and I'm surviving so far. The attrition rate is v. low in dental school, so if you're accepted, then chances are you very likely will graduate a dentist.

What worked for me was to sit down and write down exactly what was on my mind that seemed scary about school. Write down all of your concerns. Then, ask dental students about them and how they adjusted to those.

Also write down all of your motivations for why you want this career.

Then make your decision.

I know that dentistry is a profession that you should not go into unless you are extremely passionate about it

There may be many who were initially drawn into dentistry because of passion, but I can assure you that as a D4 and in talking to many other recent and old dentists alike, dentistry is just a job. It can be rewarding financially in the long run, but it still comes with headaches (dealing with difficult patients, labs, insurance, etc.) and stress like any other job. Things get repetitive after a while so it may be difficult to maintain the same passion you had for the entire duration of a 30-40 year career.

I still enjoy what I do. Am I passionate? Not neccessarily. Make this less of an emotional decision and think about it more logically. Best of luck to ya.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
More shadowing hours... this is what shadowing is supposed to help make clear for you.

Also, are you expecting too much? Frychicken is right that dentistry (like almost every other field of endeavor that pays a salary) is ultimately just a job for most who practice it, and at times a difficult/exhausting/tedious/insert-your-favorite-pejorative one. Even being President clearly has its share of sucky moments, and I'm sure Hollywood actors get sick of trying stop buy gas without being asked for autographs or going to a restaurant without people staring at them. You should aim to find work that feels worthwhile and that bears some relation to your natural talents, but work as a "passion" is a myth for most. People have to get PAID to do it for a reason. Family, friends, children, hobbies are also part of life.

Many college age students have doubts about their futures because they are afraid of growing up and facing real life as a true adult. Don't let this be you - pursue dentistry or another real career ASAP.

You'll be more depressed if you end up hitting 30, all your friends have a successful career, and you're still trying to figure out what you want to do with your life.

Reactions: 1 user