Questioning my chances of getting into Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenzie415

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its my first semester of college, and I am taking chemistry for the first time. My final grade was a C, am I not going to get into med school because this grade is so bad, or do schools only look at cumulative gpa's..?

Members don't see this ad.

One C will in no way prevent you from getting into medical school. Find out what you did wrong, fix it, and get better grades moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Its my first semester of college, and I am taking chemistry for the first time. My final grade was a C, am I not going to get into med school because this grade is so bad, or do schools only look at cumulative gpa's..?

No one C won't prevent you from getting into medical school . upward trends are very important.

Members don't see this ad :)

I made a D and F the first time I took chem 1 & 2 ~20 yrs ago. My goal wasn't med school at the time so didn't put the effort into it that I should have. I can look back and say I would have made a crappy dr in my 20's. I lived life and after a couple of successful careers I found my passion and went back and made A's and am now accepted. So no a C or most any other single anything will automatically keep you out of med school. DO programs use grade forgiveness, but MD programs don't so you can't afford many C's if you want an MD.

Perhaps the biggest thing you need to consider is; are you ready for med school at this point in life? Is it your dream and passion, and if so how do you actually know? If it is your passion then figure out why you made the C and make a change (study more, study better, avoid mid week parties, see a tutor, change tutors, do homework, etc.), schools like to see people who learn from their mistakes. If it's not your passion then find what is and do it, knowing you can always go back later.

Last edited:
No, just do better moving forward. DO schools, you can retake course, but MD you cannot. Med schools look at cGPA and sGPA. You're a semester into college. Live it up. Join SDN in 2 years.

I have 9-C's on my transcript

Do yourself a favor, dont be like me .....I went from parting 3 times a week to studying 10-12 hours a day--to catch up with others.

I think OP is fine, she already has the grade neurosis necessary for medical school :)