Questioning My Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjv362

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so I have been seriously been changing my mind as to what career field I should choose, but everytime I just come back to medical school. I have a 3.56 cGPR and a 3.3 sGRP. I have unfortunately just switched majors so I have two more years of my undergraduate degree to go; however it is in a non- science major. I just feel like my GPR's are too low to get in, and the fact that I have dropped three science classes will kill my chances. What are your thoughts? Is it still realistic to pursue medical school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A grade point average of 3.56 is not too low to get in, and you have two more years of grades you can potentially add into that which will hopefully raise it. The other number you are judged by is your BCPM GPA (bio, chem, physics, math). To convince yourself and adcomms that you can survive the science-intense environment of med school, and to prepare well to take the MCAT, you need to do well in the prerequisites. Considering the dropped classes, you will probably need 1.5-2.0 years of continued, excellent grades (including more science, if you completed the prereqs) to prove yourself. I definitely think you still have a shot at getting into med school at this point. If you bomb the future science classes, you'll need to rethink the plan. Can you do it?