Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

questioning my undergrad major...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lina123321, Apr 17, 2007.

1. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i wish i majored in business as an undergrad b/c now, as a biology major graduating this may, i have realized that this may be a viable career interest. don't get me wrong, i've always wanted to be an MD, but since middle school, i've been on the science track. i went thru highschool and college w/the premed focus and mindset...

But now, w/no acceptance to a med school ( a few Wl's, but nothing to hold my breath for), and the prospect of having to find a job w/a BA in Bio (i'm not interested in pursuing a PhD), im bummed out. i really wanna go to med school, so im gonna have to apply for 2009 (mcat retake later in 2007), so that's 2 yrs out of school...im thinking: "what if?"...what if i majored in business...i'd have at least a prospective career path that i could live well on (>60K)..what am i gonna do w/a bio major?...(lab tech..approx 30K..livable, but really, is this what 4yrs of undergrad is worth?)

idk...:confused: :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kronickm

kronickm even par.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    <------------ Philosophy Major.

4. bbabul01

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go to grad school. Having a bachelor nowadays is equivalent to having a high school degree when our parents were our age. You prob wouldn't make $60k with a bachelors in business anyway, so don't worry about it. Work for a few years, figure out what you really like, take some more classes, figure out more of what you like, then go to grad school. Good luck.

5. RowaH

2+ Year Member

Illicit business practises? Insider trading on the stock market?

6. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    <----Psychology/Medical technology major with minors in foreign languages

7. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took two years off after undergrad. It's no big deal. Depending on what type of residency you end up doing in the future, you might even be done with everything before some of those who went straight out of college.

In terms of other things you can do with a BA in biology - if medicine ends up being a no-go, you can do pharm, dentistry, PA, nursing, public health. You are not limited to just biology.

8. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Now that you have seen the light, do the smart thing and switch majors. DO NOT GET A MASTERS in something that could potentially be valueless to you. There are lots of profitable fields out there, choose one. I don't really know why people major in biology if they plan on going to medschool. If you really like biology and you are not planning on going to medschool, then I might understand. It just doesn't make sense to waste an opportunity to diversify on your way to medschool. BTW, it is never too late. I held off medschool for a few years and pursued an MBA for the purpose of diversifying.

9. mechie

2+ Year Member

You don't need a business degree to get into business. It takes a bit more effort, and some creativity, but it's definitely possible to make yourself marketable for a career in business.

10. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you decide against the MD, an MBA can be an excellent option.

11. xucardsfan08

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Having a science degree does NOT limit you to a career in the sciences.

Actually, in some cases, a business/corporation would hire a science major preferentially over a business major b/c you know that if you graduate with a science degree, you are intelligent. Graduation with a degree in marketing isn't anything special. Aside from specialized jobs catered toward certain majors (accounting or finance), you can use your science background to your advantage.

Much of what you learn in business classes is common sense anyways (less accounting/finance) with a fancy term attached to it. (Law of diminshing marginal utility = i'll be less satisfied after eating the second hamburger then the first, and so on...)

12. kakashi74

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know about other people, but for the longest time I thought you had to major in biology to go to med school. But then again that was when I wasn't even thinking about med school. It was only after I graduated, and decided to switch into medicine did I look into the requirements. I was surprised how little requirements there were. Most of the requirements overlap with other science majors so it's not like you need an extra 2 years of undergrad.
    If I had known this earlier, I would have definitely done the premed in addition to my major.

13. thirsty4chicken

thirsty4chicken New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well...

Last year, I was in your shoes with no acceptances. The difference is that I was a business major (Econ actually, as my university doesn't offer a business major). And, the funny thing is, I regret it. I wish that I would have been a bio or chem major.

My advice to you: reapply and work in a lab for a year or something (this is what I did, and it worked in getting me in). Once you're in med school, there are lots of doors open to you. Just because you're an M.D. doesn't mean that you have to strictly go into medicine. Lots of people go into business/consulting later. You could even get an MD/MBA if you're gung-ho about it.

Good luck on getting off those waitlists.

14. DropkickMurphy

Removed

I don't know.....judging by some of the bio majors I've dealt with I think you're suffering from observational bias.

15. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Definately. I would say that I have really yet to meet a bio major who impresses me with their intelligence. Usually I just chuckle to myself as they tell me how hard their major was (+pity+) and how, as a consequence, their GPA sucks but if they can just keep it above 3.25 (the in-state school's cutoff) then they will rock the MCAT and get in anyway. :laugh:

16. DropkickMurphy

Removed

Yeah....I have a good laugh about that....."I was a calculus based biochemical nuclear genetic engineering major, so I have a low GPA, but ADCOMs add a full 1.0 to the GPAs of people with my major, so I'll have a 3.4 and I know I will rock the MCAT so I'm sure to get in!"