dchyno

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
hey guys my name is chris and im new to this forum website. since about 2004 i had decided that pharmacy was going to be the goal for me. and even though i am exceptionally well at dealing with computers, i still have a drive to be a pharmacist. anyway, here's my issue. i was talking to a friend and he advised me that pharmacy was going to take me a long time, alot of money and studying and that there will be no jobs, therefore concluding that i dont meet the criteria to study pharmacy. i really am new to pharmacy and i would still like to pursue a career in pharmacy, however he pretty much shut me down about it. i still have a drive for it. but he's making me question my own judgement. i'm really amazing with computers but i think he shouldn't have said that about me studying pharmacy. he says with my artistic computer creative character i will never succeed in pharmacy. is he right?

twester

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Denver, CO
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
You aren't seriously going to let someone else make your career decisions for you - right? Here're some suggestions. Get a job at a pharmacy while going to school. Get classes that fill general ed requirements out of the way first - makes a change of major easier. If, by the time you're ready to start the hard-core pre-reqs, you still like pharmacy then keep going. If not, pursue something else.

Your friend should keep his day job, because he's not much of a career counselor.

About the Ads

futuredruggist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2006
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
You can combine both. Not everyone does traditional pharmacy. A couple areas I can think of where advanced computer skills would be useful would be in pharmacoeconomics and pharmacoepidemiology because you would be dealing with large data sets. Another area that is emerging is in the simulation of clinical trials, which is also computationally intensive.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status (Visible)
Your friend is uncomfortable with you becoming more successful than he is... and you're about to pursue something he's not familiar with...

Unless of course he's a pharmacist..which I highly doubt.

ButlerPharm.D.

Honor Before Glory
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
You could combine your love of computers and pharmacy and go into medical/pharmacy informatics

GreyFox2002

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
hey guys my name is chris and im new to this forum website. since about 2004 i had decided that pharmacy was going to be the goal for me. and even though i am exceptionally well at dealing with computers, i still have a drive to be a pharmacist. anyway, here's my issue. i was talking to a friend and he advised me that pharmacy was going to take me a long time, alot of money and studying and that there will be no jobs, therefore concluding that i dont meet the criteria to study pharmacy. i really am new to pharmacy and i would still like to pursue a career in pharmacy, however he pretty much shut me down about it. i still have a drive for it. but he's making me question my own judgement. i'm really amazing with computers but i think he shouldn't have said that about me studying pharmacy. he says with my artistic computer creative character i will never succeed in pharmacy. is he right?

Your friend is 100 % full of it. He, like most people, have no clue about the diverse field of pharmacy.

He is correct on a couple of fronts. Yes, pharmacy school does take a long time, as most doctoral programs do. 4 years after at least 2 years of undergrad = 1-2 years residency if you want to specialize. It will cost you a lot of money.........but you will be able to pay this off with a 6 figure salary once you get employed as a licensed pharmacist.............You are GUARANTEED A JOB. You will likely have a plethora of job offers to sort through. I know of people in their third year of pharmacy school receiving job offers upon graduation and licensure examination. How many other fields can guarantee that?

There is expected to be a shortage of pharmacists for at the very least, 20 years. By than, you would be entrenched in the field of the pharmacy, and if you do a residency, heavily secure. Pharmacy, along with nursing and medicine, are the most secure professions in this country, and probably the world.

Like others said, there is a multitude of things you can do with pharmacy. You can also go into research, or teaching, or clinical work. Its a very interesting and rewarding career. I'm a computer buff too, but I thought I could contribute more to society in the medical/scientific field. You need to follow your own heart, and ignore your friend's inept drivel.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
+1 on all that's been said above - do your own research, make your own choices - then....whatever happiness or disappointment is yours alone - to share or change or keep to yourself....

pharmboy30

order entry monkey
10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2006
desert
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

the guy who became director of a local hospital was a pharmacist and was the "information manager" or something at our hospital for years. Basically he was the go to guy for our pharamcy computer system - programmed, updates, fixed errors, etc. won some award at a national meeting for programming some new alert for JAHCO safety in our system. From what I heard, he made alot of $$$$$.

look into the major pharmacy operating systems - i have used Cerner. They may be looking for pharmacists as programmers?

dchyno

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
i appreciate your enthusiasm guys and i hope you all succeed in life like i will. the person i'm referring to by the way is my gf's dad. he's a little ego oriented and thinks america sucks all the way, seriously. but i love computers, and i love helping sick people. so now i know this is what i want to do. thank you guys. i really appreciate it, and i mean that when i say it. my gf's dad is an idiotic fool with no organizational skills. thank you so much and best of luck to you guys out there pursuing your dreams.

very much appreciated,

chris

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.