bailey728

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello,

I am hoping to apply to vet school next year after pre-reqs are done and was wondering if anyone knows what types of things Penn weights most heavily (experience vs academic, GREs vs course grades, etc)?

Also, what types of questions do vet schools (any, not just Penn) tend to ask at the interview? Just want to be prepared should I get to the interview phase.

Thanks in advance. This is a great website, so happy I found it. :)

spikey

penn vet 2011
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2006
new jersey
Status
Veterinary Student
i'm applying to Penn this cycle, and have consulted with one of the directors of admissions.

she said that GRE scores and grades are very important in staying competitive during the admissions process. she also told me that they look for quality of experiences in the field you wish to pursue rather than quantitiy. you should be able to show you know what you're getting into and that you still love it.

i dont know about interview stuff, but hope this helps. :)

chris03333

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
bailey728 said:
Hello,

I am hoping to apply to vet school next year after pre-reqs are done and was wondering if anyone knows what types of things Penn weights most heavily (experience vs academic, GREs vs course grades, etc)?

Also, what types of questions do vet schools (any, not just Penn) tend to ask at the interview? Just want to be prepared should I get to the interview phase.

Thanks in advance. This is a great website, so happy I found it. :)
I found the interviews are very different at each place. The only common question I was asked was "why veterinary medicine?" or some form of that. As for Penn, I cannot help you, I did not apply there.

AbbeyRoad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
Status
My interview there was really nice and laid-back, but I heard different stories from people who had different interviewers! I think they were trying to get to know me, and they didn't really throw any trick questions at me where they were looking for a certain answer. One interviewer knew everything and one knew nothing about my application; that's the way all the interviews there go. They did ask me to talk a little bit about my experiences, but nothing grilling.
And my GRE scores were not stellar- I wouldn't get too hung up on that as much. ;)

OP
B

bailey728

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Thanks for the information! That is very helpful. AbbeyRoad ~ how many interviewers did you talk to? Sounded like 2 from your post?

ReinaDeLuz

UF CVM Class of 2010!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
Florida
Status
Veterinary Student
chris03333 said:
I found the interviews are very different at each place. The only common question I was asked was "why veterinary medicine?" or some form of that. As for Penn, I cannot help you, I did not apply there.
Thats funny! I never got asked that question, not even any variant of it. I only had three interviews, but I still thought it was strange.

chris03333

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
ReinaDeLuz said:
Thats funny! I never got asked that question, not even any variant of it. I only had three interviews, but I still thought it was strange.
Maybe things have changed a little since I applied 4 years ago (woooooo time flies :oops: )

traxomatic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2004
Status
all of the interviews i went to this past year (upenn, ohio state and western) had 2 interviewers.

ohio state's interview was a lot more involved than penn's -- they asked me a lot of specific questions on a wide variety of subjects (make sure whatever you know whatever you put on your application). they asked me how many teats a mare had (since i had something about milking mares in my application), specific questions about urinalysis and cytologies, general getting to know you questions...i really enjoyed my ohio state interview more than any of the other schools. it was a lot longer than the other ones i had been to, but i feel like it was more of a conversation. my interviewers were very friendly -- we laughed a lot.

western's interview was different than the others as well. basically, they asked behavior based questions without looking at your application...kind of like what would you do in blahblah situation. so i guess it just depends on what school you are applying to...

PAThbrd

LA Surgery Resident
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Massachusetts
Status
Veterinarian
There was a thread awhile back about Penn interviews specifically. Also, if you scroll back on the boards to the Feb/Mar time frame of any year, but especially this year, there are several threads about interviews and their formats and questions, many of which are school specific.

Hope that helps.

OP
B

bailey728

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Thanks everyone for the info. Deanna~ thanks for the link. That is exactly what I was looking for!