Quantcast

Questions About Advanced Education for an International Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marineband

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey everybody,

I'm a third grade non-accredited dental student. And i'm trying to figure out how to complete advanced education in US and go back to my country and work here. I've got few questions:

1- My desire is to get my advanced education and go back.
2- Should i get DDS or DMD first -it seems like- and if yes, should i pay tuition fee for that program? Isn't there any way of not to pay A LOT and get that DDS/DMD? Or isn't there any way to do an advanced education program(in pediatric dentistry etc.) without DDS/DMD program, only with my graduation from my country?
3- Let's say i've solved that problems and somehow got my degree and applied to an advanced education, should i pay another tuition fee for each year?
4- As you understand, obstacles are not test, examinations.. But money. How can i solve that?
5- And do you know about, if i apply an advanced education in my country, is there a way to go to US and observe or research or practice in US for 2-3 years and come back?

I need someone to guide me guys, thanks a lot.

scrs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You ca do residency programs with your foreign degree. They pay you a stipend to do these programs - GPR or AEGD

marineband

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You ca do residency programs with your foreign degree. They pay you a stipend to do these programs - GPR or AEGD
Thanks you a lot, i didn't know about that programs.

And, i've made a quick search. There's a admission requirement says: ''D.D.S., D.M.D. or its equivalent'' how can i prove that my graduation from my school is 'equivalent'. My school is not CODA accredited.

scrs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not all programs need DDS or DMD. Go to the ADEA PASS website to look it up state by state

oralcare123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks you a lot, i didn't know about that programs.

And, i've made a quick search. There's a admission requirement says: ''D.D.S., D.M.D. or its equivalent'' how can i prove that my graduation from my school is 'equivalent'. My school is not CODA accredited.
You need ECE or WES assessment of your credentials

Angelina26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, has anyone heard about University of Missouri, Kansas City? They say they have Advanced Standing Program, but its hard to find info on their web.. Has anyone know application cycle and admission dates and deadlines? Other info also would be helpful ! thanks

Dentstdt

Reaction score
Hi,
1) If you desire to go back to your country after studying here, then AEGD/ GPR are your best options. Search on ADEA PASS program search engine, you will find all information about programs which accept foreign trained dentist with foreign education. Some of them pay stipend, some require you to pay fees, but fees are very less compared to DDS/DMD Program.
2) Minimum fees for DDS/ DMD program is more than $ 1,50,000 or more but not less than this. So if you want to go back in your country its not worth pursuing.
3) After your study in your country, try to gain 2-3 yrs experience in home country, preferably in community dental clinics. Also participate in research, take parts in conferences, present papers in conferences, publish research papers in journal as main writer or as assistant of senior professor. Do whatever, you can to build up your resume. Only high GPA will not work in U.S.A, though its also important to have it.
4) After that apply to post graduation programs here. Or you can apply to Minnesota state dental board for direct licensure. However, extremely difficult to get it. Once, you get your ECE evaluation, if it shows your education credit hours more than 200, then only think about trying for it. Minnesota Board does not consider ECE evaluation, it has Another ICA evaluation. But you can roughly estimate your credit hrs, depending on that.
5) Last on personal note: If you want to practice in your country, want to settle there, please do not come here to study. You may end up living here only. All comfort, money and social freedom of USA will keep you here only. Especially, after having kids, priorities change, so does the decision. I know, since you are still college student, you will not think this far, but this is reality. Keep in mind.

marineband

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
1) If you desire to go back to your country after studying here, then AEGD/ GPR are your best options. Search on ADEA PASS program search engine, you will find all information about programs which accept foreign trained dentist with foreign education. Some of them pay stipend, some require you to pay fees, but fees are very less compared to DDS/DMD Program.
2) Minimum fees for DDS/ DMD program is more than $ 1,50,000 or more but not less than this. So if you want to go back in your country its not worth pursuing.
3) After your study in your country, try to gain 2-3 yrs experience in home country, preferably in community dental clinics. Also participate in research, take parts in conferences, present papers in conferences, publish research papers in journal as main writer or as assistant of senior professor. Do whatever, you can to build up your resume. Only high GPA will not work in U.S.A, though its also important to have it.
4) After that apply to post graduation programs here. Or you can apply to Minnesota state dental board for direct licensure. However, extremely difficult to get it. Once, you get your ECE evaluation, if it shows your education credit hours more than 200, then only think about trying for it. Minnesota Board does not consider ECE evaluation, it has Another ICA evaluation. But you can roughly estimate your credit hrs, depending on that.
5) Last on personal note: If you want to practice in your country, want to settle there, please do not come here to study. You may end up living here only. All comfort, money and social freedom of USA will keep you here only. Especially, after having kids, priorities change, so does the decision. I know, since you are still college student, you will not think this far, but this is reality. Keep in mind.
Thank you a lot, that was the best answer after all my searching. Thank you.. :)

osahon7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you sir! Please Sir,Can I get a well paying job after AEGD/GPR? If Yes can you mention any starting figure? And Also what is the starting salary of a FTDs immediately after DDS?