Questions about Americorp City Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOdyssey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All

Can anyone provide any insight into Americorp’s City Year teaching program and the application?

I’d appreciate any insights from anyone who’s been in the program. In which city did you work? Did you have a good experience?

I’m trying to meet their April (second to last deadline). Is that too late to get placed into the city of my choice?

I’m most interested in TX City Year. Can anyone share their experiences with the San Antonio or Dallas programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did city year in 2016. It was hard work but it was fun. lots of interesting people to meet. You need to like children because this job will burn you out but city year staff is really understanding and they favor self-care. Once you finish the program, they will award you an educational grant, you earn 1700 volunteers hours and could potentially meet lifelong friends. I did the program closed to home, so I didn't struggle very well with the stipend but many of my co-workers struggled to live on that "living stipend" beware of the city that you will work in and whether they have a high COL.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did city year in 2016. It was hard work but it was fun. lots of interesting people to meet. You need to like children because this job will burn you out but city year staff is really understanding and they favor self-care. Once you finish the program, they will award you an educational grant, you earn 1700 volunteers hours and could potentially meet lifelong friends. I did the program closed to home, so I didn't struggle very well with the stipend but many of my co-workers struggled to live on that "living stipend" beware of the city that you will work in and whether they have a high COL.

Thanks!

How will they handle this current pandemic situation?

What did you teach in your one year?

Was it difficult getting placed in your city of choice?

What’s the nature of the educational grant?

Thanks!

How will they handle this current pandemic situation?

What did you teach in your one year?

Was it difficult getting placed in your city of choice?

What’s the nature of the educational grant?
I don't know how they will handle this current pandemi.
I taught math and english in a 2nd and 4th grade class. usually you are placed in one classroom and assist one teacher and you guys come up with what you will do during the day.
i applied to the DC program because I'm from MD. It was not difficult to get it.
The educational grant is close to $5000, its awarded once you have met the $1700 hours. I used the grant to pay part of my post-bac costs this year. I just logged into my americorps account and requested to have the award transfered to my school.

city year is handling the pandemic by having corps members support classrooms virtually using google classroom
hour requirements to earn the scholarship were reduced so that everyone can earn it given they reach the end of the program

city year is handling the pandemic by having corps members support classrooms virtually using google classroom
hour requirements to earn the scholarship were reduced so that everyone can earn it given they reach the end of the program

Is this how they’ll handkerchief it beginning in the fall?