Questions About Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medream

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I totally bombed most of my college years. Now I'm about to graduate from a no-name school in chemistry with 3.2 GPA for my last two years, with my last year being 3.7. This is my transfer GPA. My GPAs at my other schools for my first two years were below 2.0. I haven't taken any MCAT or done any volunteering. Now that I'm seriously considering a medical career, what is the likelihood that I'll be accepted? What steps should I take? What MCAT score should I shoot for? Do I need to take a post-bacc program even though I'm already solid in science? How do admission people look at applicants who change dramatically? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Medream said:
Hi. I totally bombed most of my college years. Now I'm about to graduate from a no-name school in chemistry with 3.2 GPA for my last two years, with my last year being 3.7. This is my transfer GPA. My GPAs at my other schools for my first two years were below 2.0. I haven't taken any MCAT or done any volunteering. Now that I'm seriously considering a medical career, what is the likelihood that I'll be accepted? What steps should I take? What MCAT score should I shoot for? Do I need to take a post-bacc program even though I'm already solid in science? How do admission people look at applicants who change dramatically? Thanks for your help!

Don't lose hope! If the admissions people see an upward trend that can be beneficial. If you are close to graduating and are feeling doubtful, you might want to consider some post-bacc classes to up the gpa and apply the following year. As for your MCAT score, shoot for the highest!!! 45T baby! Being solid in science should serve well for your confidence. Try fitting in some clinical/volunteer work. A few hours a week and not only help your app but it will give you an extra something in your interview to discuss. Good luck! :)