Questions about becoming a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadyeah

VIP
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to become a pharmacist? Is it better to do my pre-reqs in a community college or a university?

Members don't see this ad.

I moved this to pre-pharm, you'll get more opinions and comments there.

There are also some actual pharmacy students/pharmacists who frequent that forum too.

I am new to the pre-pharmacy program so I am not an expert, but I can tell you what I have experienced so far. I think the answer to your question really depends on what your concern is.

I spent 2 years attending a community college. Technically the college is a part of the university I am now enrolled at, so there is no confusion of transferring credits. Whether I take it at the main campus or community campus it all going into a cumulative transcript. I finished a 2-year degree at that college so I did all of my pre-reqs for the higher level classes there, but I had to transfer to the main campus for the higher level classes themselves.

I think community colleges are viewed as being on a lower level than universities, but I don't think that is true at all. My classes were taught by professors who were very knowledgeable. We used the same textbooks and curriculum as the main campus.

I also actually saved quite a bit of money this way. Tuition was lower at the community campus and there were a lot of fees we did not have to pay: parking, printing documents, etc.

Like I said, it really depends on what your concern is.

Members don't see this ad :)
2-4 Years of Undergrad + 4 years Pharmacy School = 6-8 years.

As for the pre-reqs, some people say that taking your pre-reqs at a CC will hurt your chances, while others say it won't matter. You should just do whatever's more convenient for you, IMO.

I would be very careful about going to a CC you can end up really screwing your self over badly. I just did something like that had done most of my pre-reqs at a CC and when I got ready to finish them up and transfer to a univeristy got told none of my credits are going to transfer and my GPA won't even count.

I would be very careful about going to a CC you can end up really screwing your self over badly. I just did something like that had done most of my pre-reqs at a CC and when I got ready to finish them up and transfer to a univeristy got told none of my credits are going to transfer and my GPA won't even count.
Did you transfer to the university at the same state? If so, I don't see why they won't take the credit

If you are going to take classes at a CC, MAKE SURE you talk to one of the counsellors there to see if the credits will transfer. Don't take any that won't transfer. I took advantage of this and ended up having all my credits transfered

Well, I am a pre-pharm student at a cc and I just keep in contact with the university making sure I am taking everything I have to take. Just keep your grades up.

You can do it in 5 years if you know for sure that is what you want to do. Two years of undergrad to complete the pre reqs and enroll in a 3 year program. I know a P2 that will be a licensed and practicing pharmacist when she is 21. I wish I could have been making 100k+ at the age of 21.

2 or more years of college credit

+

3-4 years of pharmacy school: There are accelerated 3-year programs like at the University of Southern Nevada and LECOM where you go to school during the summer in order to graduate in three years.

+

If you want, "x" years of residency too.