Questions About Behavioral Neuroscience/ Cognitive Neuroscience Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I decided to bother more people and ask more questions XD.
Ok i've been looking at behavioral neuroscience/cognitive neuroscience programs and have a few questions. So if anyone is actually in one of these programs it'd be appreciated since google sucks.
1) Since its neuroscience are you primarily studying lobes and biochemistry or are you studying responses to stimuli?
2) Whats the average gpa needed to enter one of these programs.
3) Is there decent demand for more neuro-scientists?
4) What else is there to know of importance for this career.

Sorry i'm asking this but a lot of questions google doesn't answer very well >.>

Members don't see this ad.

*MOD NOTE: I renamed your thread title because it was non-descript, which wouldn't have gotten you many if any looks. As a general suggestion, it is best to make a title that is reflective of the topic. -t4c*

*MOD NOTE: I renamed your thread title because it was non-descript, which wouldn't have gotten you many if any looks. As a general suggestion, it is best to make a title that is reflective of the topic. -t4c*

Neh I made the thread name to be flamboyantly flashy. But neh its alright thanks for the change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I decided to bother more people and ask more questions XD.
Ok i've been looking at behavioral neuroscience/cognitive neuroscience programs and have a few questions. So if anyone is actually in one of these programs it'd be appreciated since google sucks.
1) Since its neuroscience are you primarily studying lobes and biochemistry or are you studying responses to stimuli?
2) Whats the average gpa needed to enter one of these programs.
3) Is there decent demand for more neuro-scientists?
4) What else is there to know of importance for this career.

Sorry i'm asking this but a lot of questions google doesn't answer very well >.>

In general, neuroscience is the study of the brain. Your area of interest/specialization determines whether you will investigate more at the macroscopic level (lobes, systems, neural structures, etc) vs microscopic level (cells, neurons, proteins, neurotransmitters). Your area of specialization is dependent upon what lab or professor you are working with. Ph.d. programs in neuroscience will be almost as competitive numbers-wise as clinical ph,d programs. The type of people applying for this work are quite the academic bunch, so I would expect GPAs to be over 3.5 and that GREs need to be over 1200 for you to be competitive (just like clinical applicants).

Obviously, there is always a need for basic science researchers. However, academia is competitive (cutthroat at times), so you should be aware of the long road (5 years of grad school plus 2 years post doc minimum) and sacrifices needed for this career (i.e.., relatively low pay during post-doc considering you have a doctorate).

You're going to be hard pressed to find a behavioral or cognitive neuroscience student on here as this is a clinical psychology forum.

You seem to have a lot of questions about your future career for a freshman. I would suggest talking with your academic advisor. And, I would like to mention, all of the career paths you've asked about can be accomplished with a solid GPA in a psych major (and completing pre-med requirements if you decide to go into medicine). Perhaps you should focus on that right now instead of thinking that you have to know exactly what you want to do right now. Hell, when I was your age I planned on being a broadcast journalist so things can and will change. Don't sweat it just yet (wait until you are at least a sophomore ;)).

You're going to be hard pressed to find a behavioral or cognitive neuroscience student on here as this is a clinical psychology forum.

You seem to have a lot of questions about your future career for a freshman. I would suggest talking with your academic advisor. And, I would like to mention, all of the career paths you've asked about can be accomplished with a solid GPA in a psych major (and completing pre-med requirements if you decide to go into medicine). Perhaps you should focus on that right now instead of thinking that you have to know exactly what you want to do right now. Hell, when I was your age I planned on being a broadcast journalist so things can and will change. Don't sweat it just yet (wait until you are at least a sophomore ;)).

Hahaha yah.. Well im the type that looks for interesting information on possibile careers and what not in case medicine turns out to be kaka. But yah my advisers tend to be really boring lol not that very helpful outside of transfer and setting up schedules lol.
And im focusing on many things haha thankfully I can pull it all off pretty well lol.

I'm interested in these programs as well. But the pure academia aspect is somewhat meh to me.

I'm interested in these programs as well. But the pure academia aspect is somewhat meh to me.

It is my understanding that psychologists in a non-applied field have a difficult time getting their license. I'm sure they can, but I don't think certain programs, like neuroscience, give clinical/counseling training ...which may make it difficult to pass the oral exams or be hired. It is probably also true that those people aren't interested in applied psychology anyway.

I'm just bringing this up, because I'm worried that you may not be able to be licensed if you got a phd in cognitive neuro or whatever. A clinical program with a concentration in neuro yes, pure neuro is probably a road to academia alone. Maybe someone else (like a professor) can tell you for sure, but I just wanted you to be aware of the issue.

Correct. You will not be eligible for state licensure or EPPP for practice of professional psychology (ie., therapy, psychodiagnosis, psychological testing) because you don't receive any of this training in a neuroscience program. Although you may end-up workin with those with neurologic or psychiatric illness (depending on your interests), it is purely in a research role/context.

Correct. You will not be eligible for state licensure or EPPP for practice of professional psychology (ie., therapy, psychodiagnosis, psychological testing) because you don't receive any of this training in a neuroscience program. Although you may end-up workin with those with neurologic or psychiatric illness (depending on your interests), it is purely in a research role/context.
Some universities offer a re-specialization program if someone wants to seek licensure....but that's another 3 or more years.