SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Questions about changing state residency to improve admission chances.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by UnderGrad, Jan 30, 2000.

1. UnderGrad

UnderGrad Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Hi, I was reading another post about residency issues.

I am a junior undergraduate who is considering trying to get into medical school. I don't really know whether or not I want to go allopathic or osteopathic -- although I will probably apply to both -- but I have more "connections" so to speak with DOs.

My question is about OSUCOM. I grew up in Oklahoma, graduated from an OK high school, but changed my residency to KS during my community college days for two years (cheaper tuition). The CC I attended is only 5 miles or so from the OK border. Right now I am still a KS resident (again a town 5 miles or so from the KS/OK state line). I graduated from the CC and am now commuting to Oklahoma Panhandle State University about an hour away from where I live. My advisor suggested that I change my residency back to OK with my parents address so I can apply to OSUCOM with OK residency (even though I am still technically living in KS). Needless to say, this will be somewhat of a hassle to have all my mail going to my parents' house, etc. although not impossibe because they don't live very far from where I do; however, I thought if this were a good idea, it might be worth it.

Would I have as good of chance of getting into OSUCOM with my KS residency since I live in the "Oklahoma region," or should I go ahead and change everything over to OK? My advisor didn't think I would have a problem with getting my OK residency back since I graduated from an OK high school and will get my B.S. from an OK school as well.

What are your thoughts on the situation?

P.S. FYI: I am 23 and have not been claimed on my parents' income taxes for several years, although Fall 2000 - Spring 2001 will be the first year that I can be "independent" on my FAFSA. I don't know if that changes anything.

I would appreciate any comments or ideas.

[This message has been edited by UnderGrad (edited 01-30-2000).]

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Undergrad,

I grew up and went to high school in Oklahoma as well (Norman), and went to college in TX, so I'm aware of your situation. Even though I've been living and working in TX the last 3 years while going to school, TX has weird residency requirements so I'm still officially classified as an Oklahoma resident.

I dont know very much about OSUCOM, but if you were thinking about allopathic at all, then you should be aware the OU med school VERY STRONGLY FAVORS RESIDENTS. You might want to check out another post labeled state schools under the premed allopathic thread. Theres a link there to the OU Med admissions site where they list acceptance statistics. Out of the state residents, they accept about 50% of applicants, which is one of the best acceptance rates in the country.

I'm not sure if OU Med or OSUCOM relies strictly on your official residence, but you might want to call and talk to them. They might agree that most of your life has been in Oklahoma, so that you will be favored just as an Oklahoma resident would.

But it might also be more advantageous to keep KS residency. KS as far as I know has more med schools than oklahoma, so if you are a state resident then it would increase your chances of getting in. With Oklahoma its almost a one-shot deal. You might want to find out how many applicants the KS schools have and then compare OK and KS to decide which schools are harder to get into.
    ------------------
    "There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

[This message has been edited by baylor21 (edited 01-30-2000).]

4. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member 15+ Year Member

Sep 1, 1999
    In a house
    Actually,

I think KS has only one med school (KU). You might be thinking of UHS (Kansas City)--but it's in MO, and private....

Also, on the acceptance numbers at OU, I think that the 50% number is inflated. It's probably 50% of in-state interviewees, as they typically receive over 400 applications from OK residents and accept a class ~150....it is still a quite good chance as an Okie, though.

To UnderGrad, I would probably try to regain the OK resident status for application purposes. 1)It certainly puts you at an advantage for OU and OSU. 2)Tuition is GREATLY reduced at OU and OSU for OK residents. 3)You should get reduced tuition at Panhandle (my dad's alma mater, no less) unless you already are. 4)KU accepts a fair number of out of staters (~20-25 per class--and they favor people with ties to the state--i.e. someone who attended undergrad in KS).

5. Boomer,

When I first saw the admission statistics for OU, I didnt think they were right either.
    But I checked it out on their website and behold, if you do the math, their acceptance rate for 1998-1999 was about 50% for in state residents only.

I cant remember the exact website, but go to www.admissions.ouhsc.edu and check under Reports and Statistics. If you compare the APPLICANTS-RESIDENTS category to the ADMITTED-RESIDENTS report, the numbers speak for themselves.

------------------
    "There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed