Questions about competitiveness of PEM from EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMApp17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

So as I'm nailing down my rank list there are a few questions about programs that are really sticking out for me deciding. I'm fairly certain I want to fellowship in PEM after EM, I know "money blah blah, w/e" I understand all that stuff.

My main question is, will going to a community EM program hurt me to fellowship in PEM?

There is a program I really like, in a city I'd love to live in that I'm contemplating putting above a few other programs. These other programs are academic and/or county with dedicated P-EDs in them or access to academic PED that they use for peds shifts.

The community program that I love has sufficient peds volume and sends you out for PICU rotations at the academic center.

TL;DR - Is PedsEM competitive for EM applicants (as it is for peds guys)? Would an EM grad be less competitive from a community program?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have no problem getting a PEM spot from any EM program in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably not that competitive because you're spending additional years training in order to be paid less. Weird thing about many EM fellowships.

Same problem with peds lol

PEM is very competitive for peds. Many people do chief years or work pedi hospitalist before being able to match. General peds making $150-180 does PEM fellowship and can make 250-300 working half as many hours. General EM after 3 years training can make 300-350 in the community, or do fellowship in PEM and take a 50k/yr paycut with the very significant benefit of not treating gomers with AMS and dizziness.

Unless an EM doc wants to deal only with kids, wants an academic job then its a wasted year of fellowship.

I worked at a Peds ER where half the docs were PEM, half adult EM docs. I probably dealt better with 90% of the cases, but those complicated 10% is where PEM are better suited for.

But regardless, Those better trained PEM docs were making 140/hr while I was pulling in 220/hr.

PEM is very competitive for peds. Many people do chief years or work pedi hospitalist before being able to match. General peds making $150-180 does PEM fellowship and can make 250-300 working half as many hours. General EM after 3 years training can make 300-350 in the community, or do fellowship in PEM and take a 50k/yr paycut with the very significant benefit of not treating gomers with AMS and dizziness.
You can make way more than that. There are community peds shops that pay $275/hr.