Questions about Drew medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedQuest

Da Truth
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is drew medical school associated with ucla and if so how? It is as competitive to get into drew as ucla. How does it work? anybody have mean gpa and mcat scores with standard deviations? What is the incoming class number each year?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a Drew/UCLA student, basically you spend your first two years as a normal UCLA student (at the Brentwood campus), but you will also have additional support and extra meetings with advisors/couselors/staff from Drew during this time. You are also required to attend a prematriculation program particular to the Drew philosophy before you start med school. Then, you are required to do your required rotations at the King/Drew medical center in Watts during your third year. You can do your elective rotations anywhere you want during your fourth year (true of any medical school). Basically, you get more exposure to medically underserved populations than you would normally get in the usual UCLA program. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think there are around 25 students in this program. These 25 just get added to the rest of the incoming UCLA students. If you don't ask, or you don't say anything, other UCLA students don't know who is a Drew student vs. a straight UCLA student the first two years. Mainly underrepresented students apply to Drew because of its philosophy of serving these communities. I don't know average stats for this program.

Yes, Drew has an incoming student body of 24 students, with 60% African-Americans and 20% hispanics (something like that, check their site <a href="http://www.cdrewu.edu)." target="_blank">www.cdrewu.edu).</a> So if you're asian or white, chances are pretty low.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by ellerose:
•If you are a Drew/UCLA student, basically you spend your first two years as a normal UCLA student (at the Brentwood campus) ...
•••••Close ... UCLA is in Westwood. Ellerose points out several good points about the program, so the only think I have to add is that you are required to present a research project in your fourth year.

Okay, so I'm not from Cali and don't know the difference between Brentwood and Westwood. :D Forgive me, please.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ellerose:
•Okay, so I'm not from Cali and don't know the difference between Brentwood and Westwood. :D Forgive me, please.•••••No big deal. Just wanted to keep things in order. I would most likely slip up the same way if I was writing about Arizona. I was in Phoenix last September for a conference and the heat was murderous. I have a friend who grew up in Bisbee but I have not been there yet.