1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Questions about GPA (Vet School Admissions)

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by MooSuga, Jan 1, 2009.

1. MooSuga

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Here's is my sad but true story:

During my school semester numerous times, I wasn't able to follow through most of my courses because of family issues. My father had a severe heart attack and surgery. required constant supervisor and so, due to that I had to watch my father.

Now, my GPA is a 3.2 right now. But the question is, will they see an entire track record of all the classes that I taken? I'm a bit worried because for alot of my semester's either I dropped the class or re-taken it or received a WU grade.

Since I havent been able to gain much credits, I will be in school for another 3 years or so. Will it reflect poorly on me? I'm aiming for a high GPA now that my father is in recovery and all is well. I can concentrate solely on school without having to direct my attention elsewhere.

I was in an honor society before, and now since my grades have dropped...I will be working 8x harder than before to restore it to my satisfaction.

Any clue about the transcipt? Will they see my track record of the classes that I have attempted and such?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nexx

Nexx 2 weeks and counting
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    They'll see everything that's listed on your official transcript. This can vary from school to school as I think some schools will replace re-attempted courses (don't know for sure though). To be sure exactly what schools are seeing you could order yourself up an official set and see for yourself.

I think the standard that most schools like to see if you've had some educational lapses (for whatever reason...) is that you can handle a full-time load and some good improvement as time moves on past the troubles you had.

You are by no means a lost cause.. I had a lot of W's and even a dismissal from a university early on in my education. So just get a mindset that you will improve and get back to it... but yeah, good luck :)

4. JustCats

JustCats UC Davis SVM c/o 2013!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Ditto to what Nexx wrote. Pick yourself up, move on, and do better. You'll be fine. Good luck!

5. JustCats

JustCats UC Davis SVM c/o 2013!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Also, find out whether your school has a policy on academic renewal or "removal of W's." Some will do that after a certain period of time goes by.

I hope your family is okay now.

6. lailanni

lailanni c/o 2012
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    They will see everything.

Look into getting a hardship withdrawal. For these they will see the withdraw on the transcript, but it'll be noted as due to hardship. Then they'd understand that you're going through some tough times and it will look much much better than a regular withdraw or drop.

A quick google search ....
    "Hardship withdrawals may be granted to students who experience non-academic emergencies which interfere or prevent the completion of their coursework. Typically, hardships (non-academic emergencies) tend to fall into one of three categories: medical, personal, and financial."

You'll need to have well documented evidence (doctors papers, etc). Talk to an advisor before just leaving those W's on your transcript.

I would think you certainly qualify. Especially if you have documented evidence/dates of your Dad's illness and a doctor's letter saying that he needed supervision.

7. NycVet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I second what everyone said, but you have a reason and so it shouldn't effect you, especially if you can pick your GPA up. Good Luck :thumbup:

8. 237397

Pre-Veterinary
    Don't forget that the vet schools don't only look at your transcripts--they look at your entire application. There's room to explain stuff like that on the application, but be careful to not make it sound like you're making excuses for your low GPA. (And really, a 3.2 isn't that low. I've heard of people getting into good schools in the States with 2.8's and 2.9's.) Considering your situation, I don't think they'll hold it against you, especially if you emphasize how much harder you have to work to overcome it. And that hardship withdrawal is an interesting concept, too--I'd look into that.

9. MooSuga

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Okay, after much calculations...I have roughly 118 credits more to go to finish my Ugrad degree in accounting and fulfill the pre-req requirements for U Penn.

That would give me MORE than enough time to RAISE my GPA from what it is now.

I have plenty of time before I can actually sit down and submit an application to ANY vet schools. ugh, it's so far but I act like as if I am applying next year. Ahh the stress of a hopeful...

10. dpcdoc

dpcdoc VMRCVM Class of 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Accounting???? If you still need 118 credits for an accounting degree and fulfilling the prereqs for vet school, why accounting? Do you want to be an accountant or a Veterinarian? Only 120 credits are needed for a BS, why not earn a BS in Biology or a science related field if you want to be a VET? I could see pursuing this degree path if you were further along but it seems like you are just starting. Best wishes to you.

11. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat

Veterinarian
    Wondering the same thing as dpcdoc now...

12. biogirl215

2+ Year Member

Fallback? For future practice management?

13. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat

Veterinarian
    Yes, it would be very handy. But 118 hours? That's a lot of extra time and money. I just wonder if it's worth it, anyway.

14. MooSuga

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    To be quite honest, I have about 80 credits more to go until I finish my BS in Accounting.

I originally wanted to become an accountant. Since I was in HS my mother told me that I should be an accountant because it was a lucrative field. She told me numerous times over and over I should be an accountant. So I tried it out, I have been doing accounting related work for the last 6 years and recently, went back to school to get a degree in it.

But I always wanted to be a vet, and accounting got too boring for me. I've volunteered for animals shelter before and participated with the pet adoption process. i'm just so passionate about animals that I decided to pursue a career as a veterinarian rather than what my mother wanted me to be.

She opposes me trying to be a veterinarian because she thinks it's a waste of time.

The reason why I said I have 118 credits to go, is because of ALL the pre-req's for vet school. I havent even started on any of them except for english, math, etc. But none of the science courses...

Some of the pre-req's listed on the school website...my school doesnt even offer like genetics. Are you suppose to take ALL their requirements when your applying to those schools?

Because of these pre-req's it's taking me much longer to graduate from school.

15. david594

david594 The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Only if you actually want to go if you are admitted.

16. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat

Veterinarian
    Some require you to have all completed the fall semester when you apply. Definitely something to look into with the schools you think you're interested in.

Is the accounting degree still worth it to you if it's boring and you dislike it? Is it only to please your mother, or are there other reasons? Of course continuing to pursue it won't hurt, but it might make things harder for you. Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons!

A past thread you might like to read if you haven't:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503282&highlight=family+support+you+veterinarian

17. MooSuga

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    in the beginning, I genuinely enjoyed Accounting. But working with a few scumbags and @ssholes, I lost interest in it. Plus, I think the area of accounting I was working in didn't fit me either. If the setting was different and a good company...who knows, I might still be in it.

I do truly feel that accounting can help me in the long run if I ever plan on owning my own practice. I know that U Penn are offering joint dual degrees with vet and business. I think it's a great concept...

18. Hopeful2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi MooSuga,
    I would definitely recommend getting some veterinary experience in the next few months. You said that you had gotten some experience working a shelter, which is a good start, but I would recommend getting some hands-on experience (either part-time or volunteering) with a licensed veterinarian. The experience working in a clinic or hospital is very different than working in a shelter.

I personally know at least 20 people who switched out of the pre-veterinary program after working with a veterinarian due to lack of interest. Its very different once you see the day-to-day routine and ins and outs of the field (surgeries, repetition, having no life in vet school, etc.).

Good luck with your classes in the future!

19. dgm

dgm PennVet c/o 2013!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Moo-

Penn does not require a separate course in genetics - it requires a biology class that covers the basics of it. I believe this is usually provided in your year of general bio (could be first semester, could be second semester, could be a little in each). I took two semesters of regular old bio and one of biochem. If you're not sure whether the courses you're planning to take are suitable, I recommend calling Penn's Office of Admissions and asking to speak to Mr. Keiter (but maybe not till after admissions season is over). I met with him two or three times over the past few years, and he provided guidance on everything from which courses to take, to where to get experience and what questions my personal statement was going to need to address for the admissions committee, given my particular circumstances. He must have steered me right, because I got in on my first try (and I was shocked just to be offered an interview this time around!)