Questions About Interviewing & Related Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've just been offered admission at one of the programs I interviewed with :D:D:D. However, I still have two more interviews ahead of me. How do I respond to their acceptance email without sounding like I'm keeping them as a backup?

Portray yourself as the kind of person who is competitive and who keeps their commitments. Also remember that they must know that all interviews have not yet occurred, and they agreed to the April 15th deadline as well.

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a silly question, but if we are interviewing in a colder region, and arrive to the interview day with our heavy winter coats, will it look really awkward to carry our coats, purse, and portfolio in one hand and greet/shake hands with the interviewers at the same time? I was thinking of just bringing my CVs in my purse and not carry a portfolio but I'm not sure if this is professional?

Also, is it common for interviewees to carry lugguage around if we have already checked out from the hotel?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a silly question, but if we are interviewing in a colder region, and arrive to the interview day with our heavy winter coats, will it look really awkward to carry our coats, purse, and portfolio in one hand and greet/shake hands with the interviewers at the same time? I was thinking of just bringing my CVs in my purse and not carry a portfolio but I'm not sure if this is professional?

Also, is it common for interviewees to carry lugguage around if we have already checked out from the hotel?

Others may have a different opinion, but I am going to just take a nice leather folder with a few CVs, etc, and stick it in my purse. I don't see why this would be seen as unprofessional-- I've done this for countless job interviews and it's never been a problem. I think it's more unprofessional/awkward to be bumbling about with multiple things in your hands. The less to worry about, the better!

What is everyone's opinion on what to do when interviewers ask about the other schools that you are interviewing with?

Is it seen as a good or bad thing if a person has a lot of other interviews (seen as a competitive applicant)? Or good or bad if they only have a few (more likely the person will accept an offer)? Is it common for interviewers to ask an interviewee to name every school they have applied to or are interviewing with?

Wondering what the best way to handle this would be.

They usually have a common space for everyone to leave their things, if not in a grad student's office. At least that's how it has been at all my interviews.

a few pages ago someone told a story about their POI asking pretty point-blank about other places they are interviewing.....what do you say if this is the only interview you got?

also- what are pretty standard questions to ask THEM?

What is everyone's opinion on what to do when interviewers ask about the other schools that you are interviewing with?

Is it seen as a good or bad thing if a person has a lot of other interviews (seen as a competitive applicant)? Or good or bad if they only have a few (more likely the person will accept an offer)? Is it common for interviewers to ask an interviewee to name every school they have applied to or are interviewing with?

Wondering what the best way to handle this would be.

a few pages ago someone told a story about their POI asking pretty point-blank about other places they are interviewing.....what do you say if this is the only interview you got?

This question has been discussed at length earlier in the thread, but I will add my two cents.

Basically, there is no way for you to know how the professor is going to interpret your answer, so the best you can do is to answer honestly and provide accurate information.

annieEEG, have all of the schools you've applied to extended interview invitations? I know several schools haven't yet. If some of the schools you've applied to haven't yet extended invitations I would deflect the question that way. "Right now this is the only interview I have, but many of the schools I applied to have not yet started the interview process." Be sure to have examples on hand. Even if they have, I don't think that saying this is your only interview is the worst thing in the world. This process is a total crap shoot. One supervisor of mine mentioned that there is a lot of random chance in the application process. Your prospective PI knows this. I would, though, be positive about it and say, "As of yet, just this one." Or, "Just this one for now."

When asked what other schools have you applied/interviewed with, would it be harmful to mention another type of degree (say a psyd instead of a phd)?

I mean, I don't want to lie to them, but I will if it looks poorly on me. I will be interviewing at a Phd program soon. I was thinking to say that I did apply for x, y, and z. But as for the psyd program, they are quite heavily research based for a psyd program and therefore I made an exception to apply for that program.

I actually just did this.

One of my programs stated that you MUST attend the interview--no exceptions or flexibility. Therefore, I was kind of in a bind. I contacted the program that allows for more flexibility, and they are looking to figure something out.

I would keep the interview of the school you rank higher. I would then politely ask the other school if there were any other options (ie=skype interview, phone interview, another interview weekend, etc).

This gets tricky if you have already told one of them yes.
Have you rsvp-ed to either?

I had this happen too. I got a phone call from a professor asking me to interview. When I stated that I had another interview lined up already he immediately offered to move me to a different day. I was thankful for his offer as it was one of my two schools tied for top rank and I could not change my plane tickets for the other interview. I was just honest with him and he was very considerate of my situation. It did help that I live within driving distance of the school. It opened up a lot more options.

I hope yours works out!

I have my first interview this coming weekend. I received an email from the DCT that said that they "prefer casual dress, but you can upgrade to business casual if you'd feel better." Do you think that wearing a cardigan, button-up shirt, dress pants, and flats would be appropriate? I'm worried about being underdressed, but don't want to buy a suit jacket unless I need to.

Thank you!

I have my first interview this coming weekend. I received an email from the DCT that said that they "prefer casual dress, but you can upgrade to business casual if you'd feel better." Do you think that wearing a cardigan, button-up shirt, dress pants, and flats would be appropriate? I'm worried about being underdressed, but don't want to buy a suit jacket unless I need to.

Thank you!

Unless everyone else wears a suit, I don't think you'd be anywhere near underdressed. It sounds like your outfit fits into the "business casual" category. Good luck! :thumb up:

P.S. I LOVE cardigans :D good choice :laugh:

Thanks for the advice deliciousgoose. There are a slim few that haven't sent interviews out yet, so I will make sure to mention them if the question comes up.

Thanks!
annieEEG, have all of the schools you've applied to extended interview invitations? I know several schools haven't yet. If some of the schools you've applied to haven't yet extended invitations I would deflect the question that way. "Right now this is the only interview I have, but many of the schools I applied to have not yet started the interview process." Be sure to have examples on hand. Even if they have, I don't think that saying this is your only interview is the worst thing in the world. This process is a total crap shoot. One supervisor of mine mentioned that there is a lot of random chance in the application process. Your prospective PI knows this. I would, though, be positive about it and say, "As of yet, just this one." Or, "Just this one for now."

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been reading through this thread and I haven't seen anything that pertains to grouop interviews. Does anyone have any experience with that type of an interview process?
I did last year... of course it will probably differ depending on the school's orientation (psychodynamic, c/b, etc.). The school I interviewed at last year was psychodynamic oriented... I think in this case, they want to see how you interact with other people and get to know your personality more. Not sure about other schools...

For my interview they rotated us through the professors. It worked really well.

In preparing for my other interviews a question came up. I attended three interviews thus far, and got accepted into one program (not clinical), and became "highest alternate" (e.g., number two) at two programs post interview (both great clinical programs). I have two more interviews left and am wondering if when other offers come up during the interview it will make me look bad if I say I am highest alternate at both clinical programs I interviewed for. I know that number two isn't bad, but the programs I still have to interview for are highly competitive clinical programs, and in my mind they can have the pick of the litter, and they sort of will expect competitive candidates to hold multiple offers. Am I delusional, or do you think that they might not consider me knowing I wasn't the first choice at other programs? Thank you!!!
Don't take this wrong, but you are totally over-thinking this one. They know better than anyone how competitive this process is, so even if does come up its not a black mark or anything

So far all of my interviews have been business dress (suit). I just got an email for my last one though and it says BUSINESS CASUAL!!!! This is a 9 hour interview day with lots of walking. Could someone please let me know what would be appropriate and professional for business casual? Thank you!

I would go with a nice tailored skirt and sweater. Assuming you are a female.

I would wear a suit with a nice shirt. Then you can always remove the jacket if no one else is wearing one.

I wanted to get this thread running again because I have my interview on Friday! It's for a PsyD program and I'm insanely nervous. Does anyone have any tips for how to stay calm and cool and collected?

Is it okay to ask how many people they are interviewing?

The main thing that's giving me anxiety is the question about strengths and limitations. Maybe because it's the only question I can really anticipate. I don't know how to sound self-aware, modest, and honest while answering that one.

Eep!

Also, does anyone know any good resources I can use while preparing for my interview? I'd like to make a document with possible questions and draft up some talking points for responses. I'm also going to read over all the research of my stated POIs, and I'm going to reread all the info I can find on the program. What else should I be doing to prepare? Are there any sites or anything that list possible interview questions?
Thanks!

Now that interview invites are starting to go out, I thought I'd bump this thread.

For those who are currently in programs, do you have any insights to offer now that you're getting ready to be on the other end of thing? Things that stood out to you or things you wished you knew when applying?

Good luck to all the applicants! :luck:

Just be aware that you're interviewing from the moment you meet anyone in the program. For my interviews back in 2007 I stayed with grad students from the program. Take that time to get to know information about the program. Don't take it as the opportunity to talk about partying etc. When I have interviewees stay with me as a grad student, I am evaluating them for how well they would fit in with my lab. Likewise at the meet and greets or departmental dinners, know you are being observed and interviewed for how well you fit into the program or specific lab. Although as a grad student I do not make a decision on who gets an offer, everyone in our lab is asked for input. Sometimes the input from one or more of us has led to an offer not being extended. So be professional and try to show that you can handle an intensive program, but be personable enough to show that you can fit in.

Just be aware that you're interviewing from the moment you meet anyone in the program. For my interviews back in 2007 I stayed with grad students from the program. Take that time to get to know information about the program. Don't take it as the opportunity to talk about partying etc. When I have interviewees stay with me as a grad student, I am evaluating them for how well they would fit in with my lab. Likewise at the meet and greets or departmental dinners, know you are being observed and interviewed for how well you fit into the program or specific lab. Although as a grad student I do not make a decision on who gets an offer, everyone in our lab is asked for input. Sometimes the input from one or more of us has led to an offer not being extended. So be professional and try to show that you can handle an intensive program, but be personable enough to show that you can fit in.

I personally would just provide the caveat that while you'll want to avoid doing anything particularly controversial or inappropriate, you also don't have to "talk shop" the entire time you're in town. I actually preferred those students who, outside of interviews, were able to wind down appropriately, have a good time, and talk about things other than school. This is, of course, assuming that you're at an informal get together with grad students rather than some type of formal event.

Although yes, just because you're at the grad student's place and the POI isn't around doesn't mean it's time to start walking around in your underwear badmouthing the other applicants.

Hi everyone. This may have been answered before but I am wondering what type of shoes (besides heels) should be worn for an interview? My interview involves a campus tour and two days of activities, so I'd like to wear (appropriate) flats. Please forgive my formal attire ignorance! Would nice, black leather ballet flat type shoes be okay? I do not feel comfortable in loafers but I don't want to look terribly unprofessional in ballet flat type shoes. Thank you so much! Good luck to everyone!

I would love to know as well. I have a 2 day interview which I am sure would include a great deal of walking tours. I would much prefer to wear ballet flats over heels - even kitten heels hurt after a few hours.

Would this be too unprofessional?

I would love to know as well. I have a 2 day interview which I am sure would include a great deal of walking tours. I would much prefer to wear ballet flats over heels - even kitten heels hurt after a few hours.

Would this be too unprofessional?

What about loafers? Ballet flats are probably fine, but a more formal shoe would be preferable if you can manage it. Also, keep the weather in mind; ballet flats are a cold, soggy nightmare in snow!

How about boots? By boots, I (obviously, I hope) mean a nice pair of boots, not the eight inch stiletto heels that zip up to mid-thigh. You can get some with a 1" or less heel, and they'll keep your feet warmer than ballet slippers or the like.

I wore black leather ballet flats to interviews when weather permitted (I'm not much of a heels person). I was wearing a pantsuit, so I think my shoes were somewhat less noticeable than if I had been wearing a skirtsuit. For colder/snowier places, I wore black leather boots (with a tiny heel, because that's what I had) under the same pantsuit. I never felt like I stood out inappropriately and I ended up receiving offers! :) Good luck to you all.

Has anyone had preliminary phone interviews in the past? I'm just wondering how many people they interview/if they invite most to interviews. I don't mean to be nosy but I have a phone interview today with one of my top schools that does interviews in early February. I've been invited to another interview the same weekend at another school, which isn't a clinical program and is much lower on my list, and need to let them know by Wednesday if I'll be able to go (eek!). So I guess I'm just wondering if I should expect to hear anything after a phone interview within like a week?

If I hadn't heard anything from the top school obviously I wouldn't keep the weekend at the other school open, I know my chances are slim, but this preliminary phone call has to be a good sign, right?

Also, would it be inappropriate to ask my POI when they intend to extend invitations? I'm also talking to a current grad student this week so I could always ask them instead. I don't want to seem pushy, but I also don't want to risk missing their interviews.

Has anyone had preliminary phone interviews in the past? I'm just wondering how many people they interview/if they invite most to interviews. I don't mean to be nosy but I have a phone interview today with one of my top schools that does interviews in early February. I've been invited to another interview the same weekend at another school, which isn't a clinical program and is much lower on my list, and need to let them know by Wednesday if I'll be able to go (eek!). So I guess I'm just wondering if I should expect to hear anything after a phone interview within like a week?

If I hadn't heard anything from the top school obviously I wouldn't keep the weekend at the other school open, I know my chances are slim, but this preliminary phone call has to be a good sign, right?

Also, would it be inappropriate to ask my POI when they intend to extend invitations? I'm also talking to a current grad student this week so I could always ask them instead. I don't want to seem pushy, but I also don't want to risk missing their interviews.

I'm guessing it varies by school, but if the interview is in early February I would expect them to let you know shortly after the phone interview...especially since it's already close to mid January (they have to give you time to make travel arrangements, etc). When I was interviewing I only had one school that did phone interviews before extending in-person interview invites, but I can tell you that I heard from the POI the day after the phone interview. Good luck!! :)

I just had my first phone interview today. It lasted about 50 minutes... that's a good sign, right? How long do phone interviews typically last? What are some other signs that your interview went well (besides the obvious invite to an on-campus interview)?

I just had my first phone interview today. It lasted about 50 minutes... that's a good sign, right? How long do phone interviews typically last? What are some other signs that your interview went well (besides the obvious invite to an on-campus interview)?
I have a phone interview tomorrow- first interview with schools yet. Do you mind sharing what kinds of questions your POI asked in the phone interview? I have no idea what to expect for mine as the POI sent me an email request for an interview and asked that we speak that same day or two days later. No time to prep!

Does anyone have any information about Yale? I did see someone post something about getting an interview on gradcafe. If you are on sdn, would you mind PMing your POI? Thanks. Any other information about Yale, or Duke would be more than welcome!

I have a phone interview tomorrow- first interview with schools yet. Do you mind sharing what kinds of questions your POI asked in the phone interview? I have no idea what to expect for mine as the POI sent me an email request for an interview and asked that we speak that same day or two days later. No time to prep!

He asked very general questions about why I applied to their program and why I'm interested in doing research with him. He asked what I see myself doing in 10 years. He was interested in the research I've done so far and any research questions I'm interested in investigating. It was helpful that I knew about some of his past and current projects. Read an article or two and check out your POI's lab website, if they have one.

He also asked whether I was more interested in the clinical side or research side... I feel like I gave a pretty bland answer about being interested in both to keep my options open for the future, but I doubt that's what he wanted to hear. At least it was honest.

There weren't very many curve balls and he talked about his future research and his lab just about as much as I talked and answered questions about how I'd fit in with them. Naturally, I was nervous at first but after a while it felt like just a conversation.

Good luck on your interview. Relax and be yourself, and I'm sure you'll do fine!

He asked very general questions about why I applied to their program and why I'm interested in doing research with him. He asked what I see myself doing in 10 years. He was interested in the research I've done so far and any research questions I'm interested in investigating. It was helpful that I knew about some of his past and current projects. Read an article or two and check out your POI's lab website, if they have one.

He also asked whether I was more interested in the clinical side or research side... I feel like I gave a pretty bland answer about being interested in both to keep my options open for the future, but I doubt that's what he wanted to hear. At least it was honest.

There weren't very many curve balls and he talked about his future research and his lab just about as much as I talked and answered questions about how I'd fit in with them. Naturally, I was nervous at first but after a while it felt like just a conversation.

Good luck on your interview. Relax and be yourself, and I'm sure you'll do fine!
Thank you! That is incredibly helpful. Good luck to you as well!

Are thank you's appropriate after phone interviews? If the conversation was pretty casual it seems strange to send a thank you email, but I also really enjoyed talking so I want to let them know... I might be over thinking this but don't want to seem pushy on the one hand or rude on the other.

Last edited:
I didn't think about a thank you the first time and didn't send one...but I had a second phone interview and made sure to send a quick thank you after that one. It wasn't anything major, just "Thanks for the opportunity to touch base with you" and a quick comment about something I learned/liked about what the POI had to say about the school. I think it can't hurt if it's just something small like that, and it indicates interest. :)

I don't think a thank you e-mail would make or break your chances at an in person interview, but it definitely can't hurt and is the more polite way to go. After all, the professor is taking time out of his/her day to talk to you. I would probably send a short e-mail saying thank you and re-conveying your interest in the professor's work.

Okay! Thanks so much! In terms of questions people ask, I've had two phone interviews so far and both have started with me talking and answering questions and then transitioned halfway through into the professor going into what they plan to do in the next few years and some information about the program. Much less stressful than I expected! Hopefully you all have the same experiences!

Does anyone have tips for a skype interview? I have only had phone interviews in the past and I am feeling much more nervous! Mainly because I will not be able to have cue cards in front of me. Even though I don't look at them, I like knowing that they are there for me to look at if my brain blanks.