questions about letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballerinadoctor

Lo tuyo no tiene nombre
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard a few different things about letters of recommendation that are needed to apply for medical school. I want to know how many science professor letters are necessary as well nonscience (if there is a distinction) and how many "outside" letters.

I dont have a close relationship with many of my science professors seeing that the classes have at least 200 people in them and the labs are always taught by TAs so Im not sure how to get more than one or two "science" letters.

Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

I had this exact same problem as I did all of my med school pre-requisites in one year as a 5th year senior. Most schools that I applied to required at least 2 from science professors. I kind of sucked it up and asked two of my science professors knowing that they were going to be standard recommendations.

I have been working for over a year since graduating and these recommendations are much stronger than the ones I received from professors. I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it at least solved the numbers game.

You best bet if you're planning on applying broadly is 2 science letters, 1 non-science, and 1-2 from other sources (research, clinical experience, volunteer, etc.). The actual requirements vary by school though.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a related note, a lot of medical school websites say that you need x number of science/nonscience letters blah blah blah OR a committee letter. My school has a health committee who will be writing me a letter and the health committee has no specific requirements on LOR's (as long as you send 2-3). Does that mean I get to bypass the med school LOR requirements? Keep in mind, my health committee sends the committee letter along with the LOR's they already have of me to med schools.

So I have heard a few different things about letters of recommendation that are needed to apply for medical school. I want to know how many science professor letters are necessary as well nonscience (if there is a distinction) and how many "outside" letters.

I dont have a close relationship with many of my science professors seeing that the classes have at least 200 people in them and the labs are always taught by TAs so Im not sure how to get more than one or two "science" letters.

Thanks =)

if you are still in school schedule a meeting with your TA and speak with him/her about the importance of the letter. than meet with your professor and say the same...tell the prof that you have met w/ the TA and that they should talk. give them your CV and personal statement...while you are at the meeting tell them about your motivations for applying etc...2 science, 2 non-science and 1-2 outside activities (something interesting..shadowing a doc or volunteering in a hospital is def not worth wasting a rec)

and for everyone else reading this... tell your siblings or friends to go to a small top 10 liberal arts school in New England or Cali..they will know all their profs, they will get a great education and be set for life..

I think it's usually 2 sci and 1 or more non-sci. and of course letters from your clinical/volunteer/research experience will help too.

I went to office hours almost every week in order to get to know my professors and let them know that i am interested in learning and blah blah blah.

The premed committee at my school requires the following:
3 Science
1 Non Science
2 Outside.
They make a composite letter and send copies of these 6 letters through VirtualEvals system.

Even if you are in classes with more than 100 students, you should make an attempt to visit their office hours regularly. You may be one of 200, but not many will make the attempt to master the material and get to know the professor, and that leads to lors.

On a related note, a lot of medical school websites say that you need x number of science/nonscience letters blah blah blah OR a committee letter. My school has a health committee who will be writing me a letter and the health committee has no specific requirements on LOR's (as long as you send 2-3). Does that mean I get to bypass the med school LOR requirements? Keep in mind, my health committee sends the committee letter along with the LOR's they already have of me to med schools.

Yes you get to bypass the med school LOR requirements. Nice to have a health committee, isn't it? :)