Questions about Lifestyle + Hours/week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erasable

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was skimming the forum and two questions came to mind about Radiology. I hope someone here may help me answer them.

1. Why is Radiology often called a lifestyle specialty?

2. Why do radiologists, on average, work 60 hours a week?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Why is Radiology often called a lifestyle specialty?

Because people are talking out of their a##.

2. Why do radiologists, on average, work 60 hours a week?

- not many of us
- payment per case is low, in order to generate income you have to read lots of cases
- those averages include call. if you have to stay overnight 1:10 in addition to a regular 8-6 schedule the hours will add up

Because people are talking out of their a##.

- not many of us
- payment per case is low, in order to generate income you have to read lots of cases
- those averages include call. if you have to stay overnight 1:10 in addition to a regular 8-6 schedule the hours will add up

Agreed. One of the biggest benefits of radiology is flexibility. Some work from home. Others do locums to make money, then take time off to travel and secure another locums job when they need more money.
Reimbursements in specialties is declining across the board. The difference is you can make up for a 15% decline in income by reading a few more cases as the technology becomes more efficient.

A surgeon who is already overworked and routinely spends 3-4 hours per case for example, can not easily do 15% more operating. He can not operate 15% faster. There is intrinisic down time in turning over ORs, etc. The physician has to see x number of patients to get a good operative candidate, etc.