Questions about MCAT administration on exam day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where we can ask about the minor administrative details about taking the MCAT.

I have two questions for now:
1) Can you bring your own earplugs to the testing center?
2) I know that technically you're only supposed to have 10 minute breaks, so you can only leave the testing area for 10 minutes after each section, but couldn't you just sit at your desk and not press the START button for a while, even though your 10 minutes are up? Is there any way they can enforce the 10 minute break rule if they're not checking how long you take before pressing start?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes, but they need to be in a new, unopened package. You should read over the MCAT Essentials PDF on the AAMC website, it covers pretty much everything about how the exam is administered.

2) The breaks are automatically timed by the computer, just like all the other portions of the exam. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure when time runs out it just takes you to the next screen automatically so sitting there not pressing Next wouldn't buy you any extra time.

1) Yes, but they need to be in a new, unopened package. You should read over the MCAT Essentials PDF on the AAMC website, it covers pretty much everything about how the exam is administered.

2) The breaks are automatically timed by the computer, just like all the other portions of the exam. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure when time runs out it just takes you to the next screen automatically so sitting there not pressing Next wouldn't buy you any extra time.

But I noticed on the AAMC practice tests that once your 10min break runs out, it brings you to the intro page for the particular section, and the time have not started to count down on that page yet.

^

It also lets you pause the timer in the middle of the practice test. It doesn't mean it's the same on the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seem to remember that it doesn't start counting on the intro pages on the real test either, but I've got to think there's a timer running that you can't see. I definitely wouldn't count on the intro page allowing you to pause indefinitely.

1. at my testing site at NYC Penn Plaza, the earplugs didn't have to be unopened, one guy brought an unopened pack and when he was going through security check they made him put the package with a few more earplugs in it back in his locker.

2. on 2 out of the 3 sections on my exam last year, i had to hit next to start the timer, one of the sections the timer started as soon as the intro page came up. not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not