Questions about MCAT Courses/Etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chippy chipmunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at different MCAT courses in my area. I'm a California resident living in the SF Bay Area, so TBR and EK are offered along with PR and Kaplan. I was wondering if anyone knew which courses are best for review and stuff?

I graduated college in May 2012, and was planning to take the MCATs early this year, except I got really really sick mid-year of 2012 and had to cancel everything including the exam, prep course (I was going to take Kaplan, since I was living in a really isolated area that only offered it). I know the testing dates for 2013 opened for registration in Feb. 13, 2013, but I haven't registered yet since again, I've just gotten back on my feet both figuratively and literally after seven months of treatment and therapy. :(

I know that the earlier one applies to med school the better and taking the MCAT exam in July is pretty risky since I probably will miss the first wave of applications/score release, but I'm not sure of what to do at this point. :confused: I don't want to take a 3rd year off. I haven't done any studying since my diagnosis, and I think I'd need three/four solid months of studying along with courses to really get all the info I need. I'm also a really crazy studier who doesn't burn out very easily, so I don't know if that will help. My strengths are in the humanities, and I took the VR portion of the practice MCAT for fun and did pretty well (I majored in History at college but most of the courses I took had a lot of literature assigned reading instead of textbooks).

Please let me know your thoughts! They are very much appreciated and wanted.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at different MCAT courses in my area. I'm a California resident living in the SF Bay Area, so TBR and EK are offered along with PR and Kaplan. I was wondering if anyone knew which courses are best for review and stuff?

I graduated college in May 2012, and was planning to take the MCATs early this year, except I got really really sick mid-year of 2012 and had to cancel everything including the exam, prep course (I was going to take Kaplan, since I was living in a really isolated area that only offered it). I know the testing dates for 2013 opened for registration in Feb. 13, 2013, but I haven't registered yet since again, I've just gotten back on my feet both figuratively and literally after seven months of treatment and therapy. :(

I know that the earlier one applies to med school the better and taking the MCAT exam in July is pretty risky since I probably will miss the first wave of applications/score release, but I'm not sure of what to do at this point. :confused: I don't want to take a 3rd year off. I haven't done any studying since my diagnosis, and I think I'd need three/four solid months of studying along with courses to really get all the info I need. I'm also a really crazy studier who doesn't burn out very easily, so I don't know if that will help. My strengths are in the humanities, and I took the VR portion of the practice MCAT for fun and did pretty well (I majored in History at college but most of the courses I took had a lot of literature assigned reading instead of textbooks).

Please let me know your thoughts! They are very much appreciated and wanted.

First off, you can submit your AMCAS app before taking your MCAT, so at the very least your application will be verified and sitting at the schools. If they send automatic secondaries, then that's even better. You can get your 2o apps in, so that once your MCAT score arrives, they are ready to evaluate your completed app. Don't stress as much about the timeline, because there's nothing you can do about your MCAT date.

As far as review courses go, it's best I don't comment, because I'm obviously biased. Generically I'd say you should sit in on a class for each company you are seriosuly considering and see how they teach. Choose a topic you find difficult and sit for a class with a typical teacher (and not their salesman/woman acting as a teacher). See which place matches your style of learning. You should also read through about twenty to thirty of their answer explanations, because that's where you'll do the bulk of your learning. See if they do more than just quote an equation. You need conceptual review and test taking skills to get ready, so the answer explanations must do this.

Good luck in your hunt. If you have specific questions about the BR class, you can PM me.