Questions about medical school while with significant other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my first year in the Fall. At the same time, I have an absolutely wonderful SO who is currently a first year resident, soon to be second year. I am virtually 100% positive that she will be understanding regarding the taxing schedule I will have in the Fall, considering that she has gone through medical school herself and currently deals with the trials and tribulations of the first year of residency. I am thinking that because we both have taxing schedules, this will work to our relationship's advantage because we will both value what little time we will spend with each other. I was wondering if those of you who have been in similar situations could give me your opinions on whether or not you think I'm correct in this assumption and whether you think that my ideas about how my first year is going to be are correct. My SO and I have been together for a year now and all things considered I definitely want to eventually marry her.

I would also be interested in hearing your opinions on living with your SO while in medical school. We have come to the conlcusion that we will not live with each other during my first year. However, we are strongly considering it for the start of either second or third year.

Thank you in advance.

DocToBe

Members don't see this ad.