questions about non traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yah718

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was an international student, and graduated university 5 years ago with physiology, B.A degree. My gpa was very poor about 2.7 and my science gpa was even worse. (It is shame but wish to get your advice...)

After graduation, I worked at a biochemistry lab for 3 years, got interested in science again. I worked my best as a lab tech, learn many things again from experiments. My P.I bought this very high and liked me. just out of curiosity, I took microbio and anatomy from community college and got A for both.(I don't think this count much bc i only took two coursed in a semester) Until I had my baby, I volunteered at a hospital for a year.

Now I am staying home mom, support my husband to finish his degree. However, I wish to be a dentist after I got huge help from local dentist, wish to become a person who can be helpful to other's lives.

I strongly am willing to take all the pre req course to make my gpa UP. However, will my poor undergrad gpa hurt me too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends. I don't want to be super judgmental nor do I want to get your hopes up, but I'm willing to hazard a guess that your English skills might have hurt your academic performance. Since you have worked in a lab, volunteered at a hospital, and tried to take some courses that you did well in, it wouldn't hurt to try taking the pre-reqs and aim for a mid to high 20 on the DAT. I don't know where you are located but NYU and Boston University in particular have many international applicants. You could also look at Tufts.

I don't know how old your child is, but from my own experience, it isn't easy to take a regular full load with a toddler. Mine is now school-aged. If yours isn't at least ready for full day preschool or full K-12 with after school programs or familial assistance, it's not going to be easy to do all the pre-reqs in a timely manner, study effectively for class/DAT, and continue supporting your husband's pursuit of his degree.

Also, if English is a second language, I would strongly suggest some sort of course to improve your writing and possibly speaking fluency in addition to having a professional of sorts go through your application with you to ensure that you do not have any typos or other errors.