Questions about part -1!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
I'm taking the part-1 this july and would like to know the following regarding adv standing :confused: :

1.what is considered to be a good score that shall get you into a dental school of your choice.

2. does the 'retaking' of the test to 'improve your scores' have any have any negative impact on your admission prospects (I mean will dental schools ask for your test score history?!).

3. has anyone enrolled with the kaplan part-1 online question bank?.
Pls share your views ,

Members don't see this ad.

Bobby,

I would recommend that you post this very same post in the "DENTAL" forum. The majority of us in this "PRE-DENTAL" forum know minimum about the Advance Standing dental application process in regards to NBDE Part I requirements! Your chances of getting your concerns/questions answered will greatly increase in the "DENTAL" forum. Good luck to you.

:cool:

Bobby,
Hi! I guess what could be considered a good score actually depends on the school you want to apply to. Some schools require a minimum of the passing mark of 75, other schools require 80,some 85 ,some 89 and some 90. However I think the best thing to do is to aim for a score in the 90's so that whichever school you want to go to you have higher chances of getting in. Besides the competition is increasing everyday. There are people that have scores in the 80's and get into good schools ,this also depends on the time one applies, the earlier you apply the better your chances are of getting in with an average score because the competition is less then and some schools work on a first come first serve basis.
I don't think doing the exams again to improve your scores will have any adverse effect on your application. I know someone that did the exam the 1st time and got 70 something when he did the exam again he scored over 90 but nobody knows that unless you state it.
I hope I've been of a little help. I did my part 1 in December had a score of 86 and I'm still trying to get into a school.(most of the applications had closed by the time our results were released). I don't have much info but I hope this has helped. I'm sure more people will add to this.

I just wanted to add that I don't think the schools ask for a test score history. I've not heard of anyone saying this. I'm sure not sure anyway!