Future.Pharm.D

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
Hey guys I'm glad i found these forums so I could ask some questions, I'm 17 and a Junior in high school. I know several Pharmacist and they say Pharmacy school wasnt that hard untill the 2nt year and then the 3rd and 4th were easy becuase they have alot of Internships, Is this true?

And what was the hardest Pre-Pharm class that you all experienced, I'm in High School Chem right now, its not very hard I just don't listen at all and I still pull out a 90 every quarter. But the way its looking is I'll most likely graduate 150 out of 500 in my class(and I have a 3.9 QPA) and I'll have 16 hours of collage credit when I graduate(English 101 and 102, US history 111 and 112, and Sociology 101 and 102). I wondering if I could handle pharmacy school, I like sience, I hate High School, and Ive shadowed two of my friends who are pharmacist for 60 hours ATLEAST.

I'm looking at Wingate school of pharmacy or Campbell School of pharmacy, Both are in North Carolina, SO if anyone has recieved there Pharm.D from these schools I would like a little summary please.

Thanks.

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
I really think your ability to handle pharmacy school depends on your work in undergrad. If its a career you enjoy then i would pursue it by starting prereqs your first year in college. Your hardest class in college depends on the individual. some will say organic (i dare say most will say that) however i didn't think so.

Our 2nd year was definitely hard but the 3rd year has not been easy as we only do rotations our 4th year. The first year was more of a transition year here.

The amount of work you have to put into school will change dramatically and i recommend being prepared for that transition even in your undergrad work.

Betty'sBeast

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2004
Sunny Florida
Status
Future.Pharm.D said:
And what was the hardest Pre-Pharm class that you all experienced, I'm in High School Chem right now, its not very hard I just don't listen at all and I still pull out a 90 every quarter.
I hated Physics I, and Physics II sucked even worse. I got B's in both, but they were definitely the hardest for me. The rest of the classes were not bad at all, and organic chem is easier than I thought it would be.

J Lucas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
General Chemistry1+2 is harder than Organic Chemistry1+2.
Physics is from hell... :thumbdown:

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
J Lucas said:
Physics is from hell... :thumbdown:
Very true, but I still made A's. ;) :smuggrin:

Tyrol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2004
Gainesville, FL
Status
Future.Pharm.D said:
Hey guys I'm glad i found these forums so I could ask some questions, I'm 17 and a Junior in high school. I know several Pharmacist and they say Pharmacy school wasnt that hard untill the 2nt year and then the 3rd and 4th were easy becuase they have alot of Internships, Is this true?

And what was the hardest Pre-Pharm class that you all experienced, I'm in High School Chem right now, its not very hard I just don't listen at all and I still pull out a 90 every quarter. But the way its looking is I'll most likely graduate 150 out of 500 in my class(and I have a 3.9 QPA) and I'll have 16 hours of collage credit when I graduate(English 101 and 102, US history 111 and 112, and Sociology 101 and 102). I wondering if I could handle pharmacy school, I like sience, I hate High School, and Ive shadowed two of my friends who are pharmacist for 60 hours ATLEAST.

I'm looking at Wingate school of pharmacy or Campbell School of pharmacy, Both are in North Carolina, SO if anyone has recieved there Pharm.D from these schools I would like a little summary please.

Thanks.
Future-

First of all, you should be commended on your focus and dedication at such an early stage (when I was seventeen all I did was surf and drink beer). Keep up your effort as this will serve you well, very soon. Showing such a strong and enduring commitment to admissions committees is a powerful plus and will certainly put you ahead of others. Having said that, don't close any doors completely on other opportunities yet. On this forum most of us have decided that a pharm career is right for us, but it took a great deal of reflection. I would job shadow a few other related fields. You are early in the game and have the advantage of time. Plus NC has some great and truly diverse medical and bioscience opportunities. My wife went to UNC and Duke and worked for years in the research triangle park area. Keep up the good work. Life doesn't get any easier but it certainly gets better after high school.
Mark

WVURxGal

Mountaineer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Morgantown, WV
Status
FutureRxGal said:
Very true, but I still made A's. ;) :smuggrin:
Same here, though I hate physics. Especially my current professor for 2. Physics 102 should NOT have 1.75 hour long exams with 30+ minute problems! ...and I was the third person to leave the room! It's not that they were hard, it's more like they were unreadable due to poor grammar! Seriously, this guy is a total jerk. There were 4 classrooms worth of people taking the exam. In a room that *wasn't* mine, someone got caught cheating. He ran in to my room, screaming "Someone just got caught possibly cheating! All you health science majors! Integrity is important! You think you'll get into your majors? I will catch you cheating! I will put it on your record! You will not get into your majors! DO NOT CROSS ME!!!!!!!!!!" After that, he ran into the room across the hall and yelled at them too.

Sorry, I needed to get that out. Even the other physics department faculty members (like my physics 101 professor, who is one of the sweetest people I've met in my life) strongly dislike him. The running joke is "ignore him, he's just temporary help." Stupid physics......

To the OP:
You have a 3.9 and that's 150/500? Wow... I had a 3.6 and I was 77/1,050. Anyways. Even though classes are easy now, you'll be best off to try to work on your study habits. I know it's hard to study for easy material, but it'll make freshman year a whole lot easier. As far as those classes -- at most schools, only the English will help, though you should be able to apply the other credits to electives. My best advice would be DO NOT SLACK OFF YOUR FRESHMAN YEAR. Pharm admissions are getting progressively more competative, so you're going to want to have the best GPA possible. English in high school might have hurt you a bit if you're receiving credit since they're usually As (same thing happened to me, I took General Chem I & II during high school... I also lost easy As for Spanish 101/102 and POLS 100, though those aren't as important), but since you're preparing now you'll know better than to party the year away. It's difficult to tell if you'll be able to handle pharm school by high school. College is very different, if not just for the atmosphere!

For me, the hardest classes have been Organic I and II. I got a C and a B, respectively. I have a 4.0 GPA without those classes :/