Questions about Research and Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just a couple short questions..

1) I'm an undergraduate research assistant on a big genetics study in the psychology department at my school, but the main things that I do is data management (coding, entry, verification, etc), recruiting study participants, helped with equipment calibration, and other random tasks. Its a longitudinal study thats been going on for a long time and since I will have only worked there for about a year come next application cycle theres definately no chance I'm getting published... Since this study is a psych study rather than bio or chem, do you think it will even look very good on my app (esp. since I'm not really interviewing the people or doing the statistical analysis)?

2) When people talk about clinical experience, what kinds of things does that include? For instance I volunteer in a local ER and I get plenty of patient contact, but its usually in the form of me delivering food to them, bringing them ice packs, calling family members, or just chatting to keep them calm when the docs are busy. Since I'm not on staff I obviously can't help with any medical procedures or even help people sit up in their beds for that matter. Is this still considered a clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

kdburton said:
I have just a couple short questions..

1) I'm an undergraduate research assistant on a big genetics study in the psychology department at my school, but the main things that I do is data management (coding, entry, verification, etc), recruiting study participants, helped with equipment calibration, and other random tasks. Its a longitudinal study thats been going on for a long time and since I will have only worked there for about a year come next application cycle theres definately no chance I'm getting published... Since this study is a psych study rather than bio or chem, do you think it will even look very good on my app (esp. since I'm not really interviewing the people or doing the statistical analysis)?

2) When people talk about clinical experience, what kinds of things does that include? For instance I volunteer in a local ER and I get plenty of patient contact, but its usually in the form of me delivering food to them, bringing them ice packs, calling family members, or just chatting to keep them calm when the docs are busy. Since I'm not on staff I obviously can't help with any medical procedures or even help people sit up in their beds for that matter. Is this still considered a clinical experience?

Getting informed consent from research subjects is a difficult job and in learning how to do this, you've learned valuable communication skills. You've also seen some of the inner working of research and what you are doing in psych is similar to what goes on in large clincial trials of new drugs and devices. Many academic physicians are involved in clinical trials and if, given your experience, you think that you might enjoy that type of research it would be worth mentioning in a PS.

Clinical volunteer work is a chance to be around sick people. They aren't always pleasant, the working conditions aren't always pleasant; you are getting a chance to see what the environment is like and to see if you could see yourself working in such an environment. In addition, it is a chance to become comfortable talking with the sick and their families. This is valuable experience. Some pre-med students like to learn procedures but I've never seen an adcom member who thought that students need that experience before arriving at med school.

Everything you're doing seems great. I worked in an ER for a long time and somedays that's all you get to do - be a waiter/ress. But other nights it gets busy and I've viewed hundreds of procedures and assisted in dozens. Try to get in on a Friday or Saturday night (I did 7pm to 3am - I'd catch the pre-dinner shootings, the post-dinner car crashes, and the stabbings when the bars closed at 2am). Don't downplay talking with patients. I've talked to tons of patients and it is a blast to hear all of the different lifestyles and perspectives out there. And you are providing a service. Hospitals are very intimidating to 90% of the population, and a friendly voice helps immensely, while giving you the chance to develop the skills you need to work with (scared, drunk, angry, in pain, etc) patients.

Working on research is great. A publication is good (and maybe talk to your PI about getting something small for next season), but it's also important to show independent thought, develop critical thinking abilities, and, as LizzyM said, communication skills. Schools look for research experience in part to see if you're smart or willing to enhance medicine, but as a life-long-learner, you need to develop these other skills I listed.

RxnMan said:
Everything you're doing seems great. I worked in an ER for a long time and somedays that's all you get to do - be a waiter/ress. But other nights it gets busy and I've viewed hundreds of procedures and assisted in dozens. Try to get in on a Friday or Saturday night (I did 7pm to 3am - I'd catch the pre-dinner shootings, the post-dinner car crashes, and the stabbings when the bars closed at 2am). Don't downplay talking with patients. I've talked to tons of patients and it is a blast to hear all of the different lifestyles and perspectives out there. And you are providing a service. Hospitals are very intimidating to 90% of the population, and a friendly voice helps immensely, while giving you the chance to develop the skills you need to work with (scared, drunk, angry, in pain, etc) patients.

Working on research is great. A publication is good (and maybe talk to your PI about getting something small for next season), but it's also important to show independent thought, develop critical thinking abilities, and, as LizzyM said, communication skills. Schools look for research experience in part to see if you're smart or willing to enhance medicine, but as a life-long-learner, you need to develop these other skills I listed.

Your experience sounds pretty interesting. I do actually volunteer on Fridays from 3:00 - 7:00 (im there right now haha), so some of the stuff is very interesting to see when it gets busy here. Although this isnt a level 1 trauma center or anything I would definately recommend volunteering in an ER to anyone else interested in medicine. It is also interesting because of the the population this hospital serves. Many people don't speak english as a first language (or at all for that matter), so it can be interesting to see how doctors and other staff work with a diverse population.