Questions about school associated residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nibbler36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know to what extent going to a school that is associated with a residency helps one with attaining that residency? Do residencies tend to favor students from schools associated with them?

If there is an advantage does it vary by specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a med student yet, so I cannot speak from personal experience; but from what I can gather, a school having an affiliated hospital makes it easier for their students to do rotations through the hospital. Audition rotations will dramatically increase your chances of getting into that residency program, so in that respect you will be favored. The more competitive specialties almost require that you do an audition rotation in order to be a serious candidate. Now hypothetically all things being equal (board scores, LORs, class rank) will a residency program pick the affiliated student over a student from a different program? I don't know the answer to that one. I would guess that there is some favoritism, but it should be minor.

Does anyone know to what extent going to a school that is associated with a residency helps one with attaining that residency? Do residencies tend to favor students from schools associated with them?

If there is an advantage does it vary by specialty?

It varies by specialty, at least at my school. For general surgery, they prefer to take kids from my school, but for neurosurgery and urology they only take the best applicants. It is obviously easier to brown-nose people if you attend the school from day one, however, and you kind of have to do that **** if you want to do something pretty competitive.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and responses