Questions about several family medicine programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BunJammin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any personal experience with any of the following FM programs?

University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Mayo Clinic- Rochester
Morton Plant Mease
Trident MUSC - Charleston
MAHEC - Ashville, NC

I've scoured the forums for information from rotating students, interviews and residents and would love to hear more about your experiences. Ultimately, I would like to have a balance between community and academic medicine with the hope to be a private practice community doc.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rotated at Morton Plant as a 4th year in the fall of 2010 - definitely an awesome mixed community/academic program. You have your own community hospital as well as access to a plethora resources and rotations at USF. It's like a hybrid unopposed/opposed program. They have an outstanding program director, the faculty is awesome, and the residents last year were real chill. They have a really strong sports medicine fellowship program as well.

Last edited:
hey- check out my reviews thread for a MAHEC review. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
After doing medical school in Chicago (Loyola), I interviewed in 3 states:
Wisconsin (near family). Loved UW-Madison (will be working there next year, after graduation) and Columbia-St. Marys in Milwaukee. UW-Madison was my #1 program in my rankings with CSM probably my 3nd favorite program but I didn't want to move to Milwaukee. Madison is home for me so I am, clearly, biased. But Madison is a great place to live and raise kids. It is a nationally ranked program and competitive to get into.

Illinois (didn't need to move). Favorite program in the greater Chicago area was Adventist La Grange, where I ended up matching.

Florida (also had family in Florida, who doesn't wish they were in Florida during the Chicago Winters?). Favorite program was Morton Plant Mease. Residents were very happy, all excited about FM and did well finding jobs + fellowships after graduation. Also had a sports medicine fellowship + lots of sports med training available during residency (which I liked). Beautiful place to live.

I'm happy to answer any other questions. Just let me know if you have specifics.

I would also love to know about UT-Knoxville and Trident in Charleston! The reviews on MAHEC were fantastic so now I am just waiting (eagerly) to hear from them on an elective rotation decision! I would love to know also if anyone knows anything about UT-Chattanooga as well!

Oops sorry! I missed that in my massive list of places I was looking at haha. It's hard to keep it all straight. Thanks for the direction!