Questions about Shadowing DPM/LOR from DPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotte

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been emaling/calling, and even visited a Pod clinic to shadow a DPM but no luck yet. I live in Western MA. Is anyone from there who had the chance to shadow a DPM? Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Are there schools that does not require LOR from DPM or shadowing DPM?

I want to shadow one but if I don't get to shadow one in time, it might be a problem so just trying to figure things out.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to NYCPM without a DPM letter but I did shadow a podiatrist. I had letters from an MD and a DO though, so it wasn't a 'requirement' to have a podiatrist write me a letter to get in

I would say you should shadow one not only for a LOR but just for the mere experience of being able to see what a DPM does on a daily basis. It may enforce your decision to continue onto become one or you may find out that it is not the right thing for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Kad690775 and Tomoloy for the responses, I appreciated. I am just struggling to get DPM to let me shadow them. I called/emailed a bunch of DPMs around the area, and even visited one but all I got was so far is one email saying that they can't accommodate a student to shadow but willing to sit and talk. Does anyone got a suggestion or two on how to go about this? I live in western MA.

Be persistent. If you didn't get a response from a doc you emailed go to their office early in the morning (before they open) and try to talk to him/her face to face. Explain your interest in podiatry and that you are looking for a DPM to shadow to gauge whether or not that is what you want to do as a career.

They have all been in your shoes at one point so they'll understand. From my experience docs are much more willing to allow you to shadow if you come to them directly rather than through an email or phone call unless you know them personally.

Remember docs are busy so if they say they don't have time right now just say thank you and give them your contact info.

You'll find someone. Don't give up.

Doctors can be bad at email. Have you tried asking a pod who is based at a hospital? It's easier to shadow a pod who works at a hospital because of Patient Privacy laws.

Doctors can be bad at email. Have you tried asking a pod who is based at a hospital? It's easier to shadow a pod who works at a hospital because of Patient Privacy laws.

I will try that. All the ones in my area seem to be private practice.

NYCPM is the only school that doesn't require a DPM letter I believe

I think the rest do require a letter, but all schools will require shadowing and honestly you shouldn't even be applying unless you have shadowed a DPM.

Reactions: 1 user
Took me more than a month, many phone calls, and emails but I found a DPM to shadow! Thanks to everyone for advice and answering my questions.

Reactions: 1 users
NYCPM is the only school that doesn't require a DPM letter I believe

I think the rest do require a letter, but all schools will require shadowing and honestly you shouldn't even be applying unless you have shadowed a DPM.
Is this really true? I have LOR for 2MD, 2 science, 1 non-science. Will this hinder my application?