Questions about taking the CPCE Exam- MHC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diana29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new here. I'm currently finishing up my Masters in Mental Health Counseling in Florida International University (FIU) in Miami, Fl. I'm beginning to look for books and resources to take the CPCE exam but the information I have gathered is very limited. I have read and been advised that the book by Dr. Andrew Helwig is what's best but I would like to ask anyone who has taken the exam what was it like? How did you study? What books, resources helped you? Based on Helwig's book having 8 sections I have been told some students study one section a week, therefore, 8 weeks before taking the exam which seems like a great idea. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I used the Howard Rosenthal book and CD's. I actually used them to study for both the CPCE and the NCE! I did well so they worked!
Good luck!

Hi. Thank you so very much for your reply. I just bought the Rosenthal's book for a decent price but I'm still looking for the CD's but they're so expensive. I'm not too familiar with this book as I heard someone in my program mention Dr. Andrew Helwig's book which has 8 sections and many students take 8 weeks to study through splitting it 1 section per week. However, I decided to go with this one based on the reviews on amazon and many other sites. Is this book also 8 sections? Did you study a section per week and if so for how long? Are there any tips you can give me? Is the exam similar to the book or are there any differences? I appreciate it so much! BTW sorry for the late respond, my summer semester just started last week so I was all over the place!