Questions about the CBT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knickerbocker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will we be provided with scratch paper for the exam? At one point the MCAT essentials document, it says that no scratch paper is allowed, and then it later says this:

"Scratch paper, ear covers (industrial) and pencils are provided. No other testing aids are allowed."

So, do we get scratch paper? Also, do we really get ear covers?

Members don't see this ad.

Knickerbocker said:
Will we be provided with scratch paper for the exam? At one point the MCAT essentials document, it says that no scratch paper is allowed, and then it later says this:

"Scratch paper, ear covers (industrial) and pencils are provided. No other testing aids are allowed."

So, do we get scratch paper? Also, do we really get ear covers?

1) Yes, they provide scratch paper. They simply mean you can't bring your own.

2) Yes, they provide noise reducing headphones. I'm not the biggest fan of these, but to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
MJB said:
How similar is the presentation to the CBT practices on e-mcat.com?

i feel like there is so much more i want to know about this exam.....and no one knows, like how long format and how to practice so your not caught with your thumb up your A$$ come the test because you did not really practice on computer

MSc44 said:
i feel like there is so much more i want to know about this exam.....and no one knows, like how long format and how to practice so your not caught with your thumb up your A$$ come the test because you did not really practice on computer
No joke, I feel like we are at somewhat of a disadvantage by having to be the first crop of students to solely take the CBT. I feel all the preparation advice out there pertains to the paper MCAT. Any advice from people who took CBT's during the trial phase would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Yeah, I agree with all of you. I only signed up for the CBT for the shorter testing day... so I wouldn't be sitting around while they count pages.
I think I should be okay as long as I don't bother with their special features and just click on my answer choice and the "next" button.

MJB said:
How similar is the presentation to the CBT practices on e-mcat.com?

Haven't looked at this yet, but figured I'd post it anyway. Got an email from Prometrics yesterday:

Please take the time before your exam to familiarize yourself with the MCAT Online Practice Tutorial which may be found at:

http://www.prometric.com/demos/mcat/index.htm.

The tutorial will familiarize you with the style and navigation of the computerized MCAT test.

Hope this helps ;)

I looked at the prometric tutorial thing...It looks like the test will be presented in a very similar way to the CBT versions of the AAMC practice tests...which is what I expected.

I'm actually getting used to the format...I don't like scrolling so much, but at least their highlight feature seems to work...and I like the strike out feature.