Questions about the VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davydude7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions.

1) Is moonlighting for the VA (Department of Veterans Affairs Hospitals) while on active duty possible? I am being told that it is not possible, and am curious where it is written that this is not possible.

2) Does anyone know how the transition to the new military retirement system (BRS) will affect rolling military time in service over to VA/Federal retirement? Will it still count year for year? Maybe nobody knows yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Two questions.

1) Is moonlighting for the VA (Department of Veterans Affairs Hospitals) while on active duty possible? I am being told that it is not possible, and am curious where it is written that this is not possible.

2) Does anyone know how the transition to the new military retirement system (BRS) will affect rolling military time in service over to VA/Federal retirement? Will it still count year for year? Maybe nobody knows yet.

1) There would be no DoD policy on this (other than you couldn't bill for any patients that also had tricare which many in the VA system have). There may be a VA policy due to this; however, I would doubt it. The harder thing would probably be finding a job within the VA that would fit your work hour needs doing moonlighting. In some of the larger VAs the medical staff is associated with the University and that adds another layer of complexity.

2) no clue. I doubt it will effect it at all since all you get if you don't retire is a retirement account and not a pension.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

for federal purposes they look at your years of federal service, not the type of retirement plan you're enrolled in. the matching TSP in the blended system does not impact your creditable service calculation. you will have to "buy back" at something like 3% of your base pay (only base pay, thankfully) per year of federal service to catch up but there isn't an adjustment based on if you were in a cliff vs blended retirement plans.

--your friendly neighborhood hop on the GS gravy train caveman