This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calendarfye2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The really well prepared peeps will have finished all their exams during 2nd-4th year (eg step 1 at end of year 2, mccee/step 2 CK in 3rd+4th year and CS while overseas for elective etc). Most schools have their grad ceremonies in December so it's a bit of a wait post graduation for the match the following March. If you're lucky and get a spot, then you start in July the year following so it's about 6 months 'wasted'.

All north american residency positions officially start in July each year, regardless of when you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a student were to start US medical school this September 2018 compared to a student starting Australian medical school in Jan/February 2019, would they both be part of the same match or separated by a year?

If a student were to start US medical school this September 2018 compared to a student starting Australian medical school in Jan/February 2019, would they both be part of the same match or separated by a year?

Separated by a year.

US student:
M-1 2018-2019
M-2 2019-2020
M-3 2020-2021
M-4 2021-2022
Residency would start July, 2022

Australia student:
M-1 2019
M-2 2020
M-3 2021
M-4 2022 (Graduate in November 2022)
Residency would start July, 2023

What do students usually do in the 6 month waiting period between graduating an Australian school and going to the US for residency? I know you don't match till march of that year but surely interviews are conducted months before (?) and you'd have a good idea if you had a shot of matching or not?

What do students usually do in the 6 month waiting period between graduating an Australian school and going to the US for residency? I know you don't match till march of that year but surely interviews are conducted months before (?) and you'd have a good idea if you had a shot of matching or not?

They do whatever they want in that time. Honestly it isn't something you should be worried about. That is the least of all worries.

Reactions: 2 users

Start residency in Australia,since they starts in January . I don't think anything can stop them from leaving if they match in North America. I could be wrong though..

Start residency in Australia,since they starts in January . I don't think anything can stop them from leaving if they match in North America. I could be wrong though..

I can think of something. If you're from North America, accept an Australian internship (frequently a CMI) in July-December of your 4th year, and you decide to leave for residency in the U.S. or Canada, there's a payback clause of $140,000 plus interest you'll owe, and a 48-week return of service at a remoteness area category 2-5 within 5 years of commencing the internship.

Hardly anyone starts internship in January and then leaves for US residency in July. It's not really done. People kill the time in different ways (some do post-doc research, etc), but again, not really a big thing to worry about until you reach that point.

Bottom line: don't apply for, then accept, a position as an Australian intern if you're not planning on practicing in Australia.

Reactions: 1 user
Bottom line: don't apply for, then accept, a position as an Australian intern if you're not planning on practicing in Australia.

That and you'll just be making hospitals less inclined to hire internationals from North America in the future in case they pull the same trick. Please don't do that.

P.S. This is pretty much what happened to the rural hospital I rotated through in PGY1. They hired 4 Canadians through RPR, 2 left. So the next year, they only took on internationals from Malaysia and Singapore.

Honestly the time off from graduation to the start of residency is a blessing. It’s a butt clenching experience until you know you match in March, but from January to February you get to travel across Canada to interview. I’ve never been out east before that and I got to see the prairies and maritimes in one fell swoop. After interviews, I travelled across Europe for like 4 months. When else would you have this much time off to go travel?

If you do things very efficiently, you can have all of the required exams done by October of graduation year (eg during print block - usmle step 1, 2ck, 2cs, Nac Osce, MCCQE1)

Lastly, I do think it’s poor form to drop an internship spot after the match. Also would be really difficult to do internship and interview for residency spots as the start of both is in January if I’m not mistaken.

Idk I still feel it kinda stings to be one year behind in terms of getting residency in comparison to people who started in septepmber. Like if you took a gap year before going to medical school, you would then technically be two years behind then.

Then get into medical school in North America or go to Ireland or the carribean.

Honestly the time off from graduation to the start of residency is a blessing. It’s a butt clenching experience until you know you match in March, but from January to February you get to travel across Canada to interview. I’ve never been out east before that and I got to see the prairies and maritimes in one fell swoop. After interviews, I travelled across Europe for like 4 months. When else would you have this much time off to go travel?

If you do things very efficiently, you can have all of the required exams done by October of graduation year (eg during print block - usmle step 1, 2ck, 2cs, Nac Osce, MCCQE1)

Lastly, I do think it’s poor form to drop an internship spot after the match. Also would be really difficult to do internship and interview for residency spots as the start of both is in January if I’m not mistaken.

Being 250k + in debt , I don't know how I'd feel spending more money on travel before residency even starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey. Don’t do that. Either stay or leave. You shouldn’t even be posting on a professional forum if that’s your attitude.

Last edited:
Also you aren’t a year behind. I started in January 2015. My buddy started in July 2015. We both would start residency in July 2019 if I was staying in the US.

ed: fat fingered a year.

Last edited:
Naw but if your comparing yourself to a cohort that started in September 2014, wouldn’t you be a year behind for residency?
... Why would you compare yourself to a cohort that started in the year before you. Sure you can make any ridiculous comparison you want but it doesn't make it right.

... Why would you compare yourself to a cohort that started in the year before you. Sure you can make any ridiculous comparison you want but it doesn't make it right.

I think you’re misunderstanding this.

American students will finish undergrad in April or May every year. A traditional premed will start med school the following September. However, if you’re going to Australia then you’d start the following January instead- and because of the Australian academic year you wouldn’t be eligible to start residency back in North America until the year after the kids who started in September would.

So yes- you are a year ‘behind’ other traditional students who finished undergrad at the same time as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American students will finish undergrad in April or May every year. A traditional premed will start med school the following September. However, if you’re going to Australia then you’d start the following January instead- and because of the Australian academic year you wouldn’t be eligible to start residency back in North America until the year after the kids who started in September would.

So yes- you are a year ‘behind’ other traditional students who finished undergrad at the same time as you.

I think you are misunderstanding that your comparison only works for students that literally fall into one definition and start med school immediately after finishing undergrad in May of that year. Sure, you can make any comparison you want, but it doesn't make it accurate. So no - you are only a year behind if you choose to believe you are. If I finished undergrad in December (which I did along with many other people), and I started in January, I would be exactly the same as my cohort that finished the semester after me on your 'traditional' timeframe. You need to look outside of your box and stop trying to prove some point.

And to answer the OPs question - UQO has a research fellowship following graduation that lasts until residency. Some students travel, others work doing other things. Some move back to Australia and work there and start right away. As far as USMLE exams, you will have taken step 1 and 2 CS/CK prior to graduating anyway, so nobody is studying for those exams in that 6 month gap.

What ?? Seriously?? This is fast becoming the minority of students. Most everyone I know had at least a year if not multiple years off before going to med school-- the average matriculant age at UQ-O is 26 with MANY students older than that. If a fresh faced 22 year old is worried about being a year behind they are worried about the wrong things. Like seriously who cares enjoy that time off before residency starts because med school is a slog. And now with so many people going on to fellowship, medical training takes 10 years at least for many people so being 6 months "behind" really doesn't matter in the scheme of things. This is not the career for you if you worry about finishing something quickly. @apasric4 how does this suck?? I can't wait for that 6 months off before residency starts to do whatever the hell I please before the grinder of residency.

Reactions: 1 users
What ?? Seriously?? This is fast becoming the minority of students. Most everyone I know had at least a year if not multiple years off before going to med school-- the average matriculant age at UQ-O is 26 with MANY students older than that. If a fresh faced 22 year old is worried about being a year behind they are worried about the wrong things. Like seriously who cares enjoy that time off before residency starts because med school is a slog. And now with so many people going on to fellowship, medical training takes 10 years at least for many people so being 6 months "behind" really doesn't matter in the scheme of things. This is not the career for you if you worry about finishing something quickly.

I agree completely. Not disputing your points at all. Was simply trying to make the point that, in fact, you would start residency a year after those that started US med in the September prior (which could be the people you finished undergrad with).

But yeah you’re right it doesn’t matter either way.

Not everyone gets in straight after undergrad anyway, so chances are you'd still be a year or two ahead if it takes them 2-3 tries to get into a NA med school. I've known at least 3 peeps with a 4.0 GPA, great MCAT score (>33 way back when) and fantastic ECs - still took them 2 cycles to get into med school back home.

Um please don't. It's unprofessional if you've signed a contract considering how highly sought after internships are now.
It actually directly affects hiring practices for subsequent students in the year below. As in they stop hiring North Americans for a number of years. Savvy Australian hospitals at interview now ask if you took the boards and deliberately not give you leave for interview in Jan. There used to be a 140k penalty if you ditch an Australian internship. That is how much it costs the government to fund an intern.

If anyone thinks the gap of 6 months sucks then don't choose Australia. Simple.

Reactions: 2 users
lmao stfu man. I'm not the type to take gap years. What's up with me all you dudes on forums pointing at people online about medicine not being the right choice for them based on one post they make lmao. But whatever thanks for the info.
I don't think they're saying whether you're suitable for it or not.

Just that it's a long journey not everyone considers or thinks of before diving in.

Gap of a few months can be used to start research or studying for boards. Every drop of time is valuable - you won't feel it now. Maybe not even during the first 2 yrs of med school which is tutorial and lecture. But you will once you start having to most of your days in a hospital, juggling boards and research.

No one says you have to take advice in here. But you can't control who posts and what responses come from your comments or reactions.

If you're 'not one to take gaps' just.. don't go to Australia. It's impossible to avoid this.

Status
Not open for further replies.