Questions about Travel Directions/Info for NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't start new threads too often but I was wondering if someone can help me out. I have an interview at Einstein on Monday and then one at NYMC on Tuesday. I was wondering how long it takes to get from Bronx to Valhalla/White Plains. I looked on the map and it says its 19 miles, which doesn't seem much at all. Do cabs go there? How much will it cost? Public transportation?

I actually want to leave from the Bronx Tuesday morning to get to my interview at Valhalla because hotels are MUCH cheaper in the Bronx. Think its possible to leave the Bronx ~6:30 and get to Valhalla by 8 through public transportation (train, bus, etc.) or cab? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

On the MTA website, you can plan your whole trip from subway to commuter train.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us

For example, you could take the #12 bus which runs along Pelham Pkwy to the Fordham Rd Metro North Station, and take the train to Hawthorne (closer station than Valhalla). It is probably easier to get a car service from Einstein right to the train station for ~$5, and then a taxi from Hawthorne to NYMC. There is a taxi stand at Hawthorne station.

ma-bas said:
On the MTA website, you can plan your whole trip from subway to commuter train.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us

For example, you could take the #12 bus which runs along Pelham Pkwy to the Fordham Rd Metro North Station, and take the train to Hawthorne (closer station than Valhalla). It is probably easier to get a car service from Einstein right to the train station for ~$5, and then a taxi from Hawthorne to NYMC. There is a taxi stand at Hawthorne station.

Thanks for the tips! Is it better to get off at White Plains? That's what the NYMC websites says to do. How do I get the car service? Is there a number to call? And how about getting from JFK to the Bronx? Which is the best way to do that? Sorry for so many questions, but first time in NY. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
NubianPrincess said:
Enjoy your trip :)

Thanks NubianPrincess. I'm so excited! I'm getting in a day early to check out Manhattan/Bronx a bit so that should be fun. But the transit system is so complicated, but seems like it brings you everywhere! Makes San Francisco look so small in comparison!

I would have posted more, but I am really not familiar with much north of Harlem :laugh: When I do finally fly (for the first time - probably to my next interview) I will try and use LaGuardia so I can't offer any advice about JFK, either :( Are you staying with family or a student host? A cab will be pretty expensive so if you have a ride it would really help.

Congrats on your NYMC interview, btw. I hope to be invited as well.

In the outer boroughs we tend to use livery cabs vs yellow taxis. Everybody kinda has their favorite company they use. I am sure your hotel can call a cab for you, that's what they do.